Playing MOV files on PC

imzy 21:51 PM 18 Dec 12

Hi there.

I just got an IPad and I recorded some videos on it. I connected the IPad to my PC and copied and pasted the video to my hard drive. The file is in VOD format. Now I can't seem to play it with Windows Media Player and when I use orher programs to open it the quality is terrible. Also when I try to play the file my computer has crashed a couple of times and also freezed a couple of times. I would like to play it with Windows Media Player because I qant to burn it to cd and give it to people to play.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

lotvic 22:35 PM 18 Dec 12

It's all to do with the codecs (encoding)

Download and use the free program dvdflick to convert your Apple QuickTime .mov and burn to a DVD that can be played on any dvd player. (Don't forget to also download the manual .pdf)

lotvic 22:41 PM 18 Dec 12

you also could do with free VLC player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ to watch .mov properly on your Windows pc. VLC can play just about anything you can chuck at it :)

imzy 10:35 AM 19 Dec 12

Thanks guys. I will try to convert it then burn it to disc.Any ideas why my computer kept crashing when I tried to play the file?

lotvic 11:19 AM 19 Dec 12

Not really, perhaps because Windows Media Player couldn't cope with .mov and lacks the programming to be able to identify that it can't play it properly.

lotvic 11:32 AM 19 Dec 12

I also should have given you this link to Apple's page to download Apple Quicktime for Windows (Apples player so that you can watch .mov on Windows pcs)

imzy 13:03 PM 19 Dec 12

Thanks lotvic. I did try to play the file with quicktime but the quality was not good but I am runnung an older version of quicktime so I will try to update it and see if that helps.I Am am alao trying Dvdflick to burn the file. Thanks.

imzy 17:02 PM 21 Dec 12

I don't kmow what I am doing wrong. Even when I try to open the file with Quicktime my computer crashes and starts doing domething called a CRASH DUMP. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong and tell me step by step how I can play my ipad videos on a normal pc.

imzy 22:02 PM 21 Dec 12

I tried to open the file again and the computer started to freeze then crashed.
The stop cide was: 0x000000c2, 0x00000007, 0x00001107, 0x11f415ff, 0x74661400. The error description was : BADPOOLCALLER. it didn,t mention any files. When the computer came back on it said I needed a Disk Check which took about 5 minutes then the computer started. This is a lot of trouble just to play a video file from a USB device!!!!

imzy 17:59 PM 22 Dec 12

Ok thanks. Will try and let you know how I get on. I am running windows vista.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…