playing a dvd on my laptop

mr orange 00:07 AM 13 Jan 13

Hi guy's, I would greatly appreciate any help in this area, i have a Sony Vaio laptop, model no:VGN A617B, i am looking to play dvd films on it while i am at work but when i stick the dvd in and it starts playing i get a green distortion all around the images, almost as if there is some sort of protection going on or something?. Is there a way around this problem just by activating a programme on the laptop or am i going to have to buy some sort of converter kit and download it. Thank's in advance for any reply's.

SillBill 00:22 AM 13 Jan 13

What Program are you using to play the DVDs?

mr orange 21:25 PM 13 Jan 13

Hi SillBill, Thank's for the reply, it gave me three options to play the dvd through. Windows Media Player, WinDVD and Sony Vaio Player. I opted for Windows Media Player purely because i have all my music stored on this on my home PC and i know my way around it. I wouldn't care which of the three to use to be honest as long as i can get one of them working.

SillBill 21:41 PM 13 Jan 13

I can 100% recommend VLC Media Player, it will play anything you throw at it and if you still get that problem then it's your laptop at fault!

lotvic 22:39 PM 13 Jan 13

Yes, it's all down to the codecs available to the player. Windows Media Player can't correctly play some dvd's.

I also recommend the free VLC player from (it's so long since I installed it I can't remember if during the install you are also offered other free software, so be aware and look out for boxes to UNtick - almost all free programs will offer other stuff including toolbars, none of which you need)

mr orange 14:56 PM 14 Jan 13

Cheers SillBill and Lotvic, thank's for the advice, i will give that one a go and let you know how i get on.

mr orange 20:48 PM 23 Jan 13

Hey SillBill and Lotvic, Just a quick reply to let you know i tried the VCL Media Player download and it worked perfectly, well chuffed, thank's for the advice i know where to come if i have any more problems, cheers.

SillBill 21:06 PM 23 Jan 13

Always nice to get confirmation!

rdave13 21:06 PM 23 Jan 13

I know you're sorted but Win 7 codec pack will allow WMP 12 to play anything thrown at it. The only thing I must admit to miss on Windows 8 is the ability to use Windows Media Player to play DVDs. Never mind, some genius will, no doubt, get a codec pack for 8 at sometime in the future.

VLC is OK, I suppose, and I'm forced to use it, but my preference would still to be able to use WMP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11