Playing CD's and DVD's

dobber 1 13:47 13 Feb 08

I used to be able to play discs on my Acer laptop. Just recently I insert a disc and nothing happens. No error messages, nothing. On conecting to Windows media player 11, the drive shows empty, and prompts to insert a disc. I'm using Vista home premium. Why should it stop like this, any ideas?

lofty29 14:58 13 Feb 08

try cleaning drive, otherwise could be laserkaput

Stuartli 15:02 13 Feb 08

Unlikely that a laser(s) would need cleaning as they are very well enclosed - try Uninstalling the optical drive in Device Manager and Rebooting.

Windows will Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM driver which is all tht is required (I'm assuming it's the same for Vista as for XP).

Otherwise, as suggested, either the CD or DVD laser (or both) has gone AWOL.

dobber 1 16:35 13 Feb 08

Thanks guys, I tried the uninstall and I've the same problem. I wouldn't mind but it has hardly been used for playback. I've used it mainly with a programme called Music collector by Collectz. Where a CD is scanned and the details i.e Cover, track details, title, artist ect. are listed so as to have a record of ones CD collection. When I now insert a CD in the drive there is no information on show because there is a scan error.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…