Play DVDs on Windows XP

Hanshermann 01:45 14 Feb 07

Windows XP + SP2
Windows Media Player 11
SonicCinePlayerDVDDecoderPackv2.31_SDD.exe

I want to play back DVDs (Videos) on my Compaq Presario 2700. Following Microsoft's recommendation I downloaded the SonicCinePlayer, installed it (and payed for it).
However it does not work.

In the Media Player under "Play" (classic mode) the "DVD, CD or VCD audio" is not highlighted.

Can you please tell me what I have to do to get the DVDs playing on my computer.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hanshermann

Diversion 01:58 14 Feb 07

You probably need codecs click here click here

baldtaco 02:00 14 Feb 07

I'd dump the M$ stuff completely, it's nasty. Try this, it plays most things click here

birdface 10:43 14 Feb 07

Sounds like your D drive is not working,Try puting a music dvd or any other type dvd into your D Drive,And see if your computer recognises it.

birdface 13:07 15 Feb 07

Hi,Thanks for the e-mail,But you must post your problems on this thread so that others may help,[Windows cannot read from this disc,The disc might be currupted,Or it could be using a format not compatible with Windows}If you downloaded Sonic decoder pack also the player it should work.Now I am not in the position to help you,as I have the exact same problem.I have been told that I may need a new D-Drive.But the one I have has hardly been used,Same problem Windows Media Player says no disc in drive, Same with the Music ones,There was a fix for this on the thread that I posted a while back, but it did not work on mine,i will try and find it and post it on here for you to look at, In the meentime if you have a DVD/C/D cleaner, try that first,

birdface 13:22 15 Feb 07

click here Scroll down till you get to one from Skidzy,Follow the instructions for upper and lower Filters ,see if that help, Or look around the thread, you might find someting that will help you,It did not help me, But at the end you will see that I Downloaded a Free Burner in the hope that it would work, And it did,But the next time I ran C Cleaner or possibly downloads from Microsoft for Windows media,It stopped again,So still cant play or use DVds or Cds.

Hanshermann 02:00 16 Feb 07

thanks buteman,
i think the problem has now been narrowed down. Media Player classic (6) and not (11) which is for Vista does some of the work. It plays original DVDs, i.e. those bought in a shop, it plays VCDs, original and copies, it plays Music DVDs.
What I want to do is to play back on my computer DVDs recorded on my Philipps DVD Recorder from TV. Maybe I should contact Philipps to find out what kind of coding is used.
Anyway thanks for your hepl.

ICF 07:27 16 Feb 07

What type of Disc's are you using?

ICF 07:28 16 Feb 07

What model number is the Philips recorder?

ICF 07:46 16 Feb 07

Have you finalized the discs?

Hanshermann 11:30 16 Feb 07

the discs are dvd-rw and according to the manual need not be finalized. The Philips recorder has the number DVDR 725H/00. Could it have something to do with the speed of the archiving?
Thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…