Play DVD's on PC that I've recorded off Freeview

RWBCAM 12:35 17 Feb 08

I've got a custom built PC with a Lite-on DVD unit. On the box it says it supports lots of formats +/- RW, RAM etc.
If I insert a shop bought DVD it plays ok but if I insert a DVD that I have recorded on my Freeview Panasonic DVD recorder (either on -RW or RAM) the PC won't recognise it.
I haven't bought any DVD reading/writing software and I only have the software that came with the Vista 32-bit OS.
Is there anything I can do to be able to play my own recorded DVD's? What is the best software? Is there any decent freebie software that will do the job. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

crosstrainer 12:58 17 Feb 08

To finalise (make compatible) the discs before they will play on any drive / DVD player.

You should have an option to do this on your recorder, check the manual. My PVR has this option and the DVDs will play on anything when this process has been done.

RWBCAM 21:00 17 Feb 08

Thanks crosstrainer. That's very helpful. I didn't know about finalising it. I looked in the Panasonic manual and it was there.

I have now tested it and it has turned my DVD -RW into a DVD-Video but Windows Media Player is still saying Unknown DVD. So I'm still puzzled. But thanks again, you have increased my knowledge.

gobuddygo 21:28 17 Feb 08

try
click here
to help wmp

Acx 21:34 17 Feb 08

You could try Real Player. I find Wmp very temperamental as to what it will and wont do.

click here

skidzy 21:46 17 Feb 08

Vlc will play almost anything click here

RWBCAM 10:59 19 Feb 08

Many thanks skidzy and gobuddygo. I've loaded the software and it's playing my DVD-V now. It doesn't play "unfinished" dvd's off the Panasonic recorder but that was a big ask.

I'll mark this problem resolved now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…