Planning to Reinstall Windows - Partitions

Jack25 13:41 24 Oct 04

I am planning to reinstall Windows XP within the next few days. When I last reinstalled windows, I partitioned my hard drive and installed Windows and all my programs on the C Drive, created a D drive for all my files and an M Drive for all my multimedia (music, pictures, etc...). When I now reinstall windows, I am planning to format just the C Drive, reinstall windows and all my programs, and then continue to use my files from the D and M drives. However, I have no backup of the files on these D and M drives and I was just wondering if during the formatting of the C Drive or the install process of Windows XP there is any chance that the data on these two drives may be lost?

Thanks

LastChip 13:51 24 Oct 04

If you format C: and don't touch the other drives, all your data should remain secure.

Having said that, it is unwise not to have a backup of your essential personal files. What if you should get a hard drive failure?

gold 47 13:56 24 Oct 04

I have never installed windows XP in this way i have upgraded from W2000 to XP W2000 does not support upgrading but i now have both on my hard drive i didn't want this but it works well,but to the point you could loose data on the other partitions so back up incase.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…