Plain language advice re networking please?

Conny 21:04 25 Jan 11

(Also posted in Networking, but no response yet).I have a hard wired desktop PC and a wireless laptop.
At the moment the setup is;
Feed the modem, modem to router, (Netgear614v), router to desktop via Ethernet lead. Laptop picks up signal wirelessly. What I want to do is access Ecxel and Word files on the desktop from the laptop but I don't want the desktop to be able to access the laptop.
1/ Is this possible?
2/ If so how do I do it, (in plain english please as I am not too tecchie minded.
If it means allowing 'Remote Access' on the desktop does this mean only from my network or could anyone outside remotely access it?
Thanks in advance.

woodchip 21:36 25 Jan 11

What I want to do is access Ecxel and Word files on the desktop from the laptop but I don't want the desktop to be able to access the laptop.
YES.

If you are running XP on ether of the PC's. Turn on Both PC's and any printers you want to share, Go to Control Panel on the XP PC Double Click on Network Setup Wizard follow the Instructions and create a Disc when it Prompts you, use the disc on the other PC. It only puts one file on the disc, double click the file on the disc, this sets up that PC. You can now control Sharing by Starting Windows Explorer Press Win Key plus E key bottom left for My Network Places you need to look for MShome, though it mat show you files after rebooting both PC's to change Sharing right click on Folder or Fils, and change

woodchip 21:37 25 Jan 11

PS both PC's have to be switched on to Share as does Printers, but you can then print from both PC's

Conny 22:51 25 Jan 11

Woodchip, thank you for the info. The desktop is XP Home and the laptop is windows 7. Will this affect anything you have said? Thanks.

Taff™ 07:09 26 Jan 11

In short - yes it will! Run the wizard on the XP machine as woodchip described and make sure that the network name is "WORKGROUP" (Or indeed any other name you decide.) Ignore the last page of the wizard to create a disc by selecting the last option on the dialog box.

You also need to set a password log in for the users on each account on the XP machine as well as your Laptop. Windows 7 security requires this and the password on your 7 machine will prevent anyone on the XP machine accessing it.

click here for a tutorial on the whole procedure and post back if you hit a problem.

Taff™ 07:10 26 Jan 11

Almost forgot - you must ensure that the laptop uses "WORKGROUP" as well.

Conny 23:56 28 Jan 11

I give up. I've tired everything suggested and others from people in work but they will not connect. I've copied the files I want to disc and transferred them that way.
Thanks for your help guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac