Plain English/Jargon

Newuser2533 22:23 25 Jun 03

I need a Plain English site to explain the differences between .doc .xls .html .gif .rtf.
My daughter is about to begin Teacher Training and needs to understand and as I cannot explain to the degree that it makes sense, I am turning to you for help.
As you have always come up trumps before, I look forward to your replies.
Thanking you in anticipation.

powerless 22:28 25 Jun 03

click here - File extension - Put something in the seach box and it'll come back with something. Links to other websites where you can find out what's, what's!

Also click here

click here

VoG® 22:28 25 Jun 03

What you have posted are different file types. Each is associated with a (completely) different program. I don't understand quite what you/she are after.

You can type in a file type (without the .) and get an answer click here

If you could post the question better we might be able to provide something useful. What is she hoping to teach?

VoG® 22:36 25 Jun 03

This might help as well click here

Pesala 23:11 25 Jun 03

*.doc = Microsoft Word Document

*.xls = Excel Spreadsheet

*.html = HyperText Markup Language, a document for display in web browsers, which may contain links to other files and graphics and will display them too when opened.

*.gif = compuserve Graphics Interchange Format, a graphics format widely used on the web that supports 256 colours and transparent backgrounds.

*.rtf = Rich Text Format a file format widely used to transfer formatted text between programs. It retains formatting like italics, bold, font, paragraph styles, etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…