Plagued by unwanted net pop-up's!

Azrael 13:28 13 Aug 03

For the last couple of months I've been a victim of unsolicited popup dialogue boxes... Sometimes offering items for sales, or somethimes advertising the facilty to remove them... Whihc is clarly a con, as I'm sure there are the ones that put them there... Thing is I can't figure out how they are appearing, I presume something is hidden on my system that detects when I'm online and then bombards me with these messages every so often. An example of a recent popup is:
| 13/08/2003 |
| |
| WANT TO STOP ALL THESE MESSAGE POPUPS? |
| |
| Go to click here to stop them |
| immediately and protect yourself! |
| |
| click here |
-------------------------------------------

Can anyone help at all... Dos this look familuar?

Djohn 13:29 13 Aug 03
  JoeC 13:30 13 Aug 03

( Courtesy of click here )
This isn't spyware or adware. It's the messaging service built into Windows which is being used by spammers.(Windows Messenger - not .Net Messenger ).
To get rid of it,turn off the messaging service.
Windows 2000 and XP:- Go Start > Run > type in services.msc.Double-click on Messenger and in the Messenger Properties window, select Stop, then choose Disable as the Startup Type.Click OK.
Windows 95, 98, and ME:- Go to Control Panel and Add/Remove.Select Windows Setup.Select System Tools.Click Details.Uncheck WinPopUp.Click OK.

Azrael 13:36 13 Aug 03

Well... that was EASY!!

Cheers guys.. You sure know your stuff!

I can't believe I went so long with putting up with them! Tnaks a bunch folks!

BYE...

From one happy chappy

bus man 13:52 13 Aug 03

i too suffer from these annoying pop ups and have just followed your advice am waiting to see if it's done the trick i'm hopefull you are a smart lot!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…