Plagued by popup messages

Chegs ® 13:47 25 Mar 05

I am being plagued by "Messenger" popups.I have removed Windows Messenger(the usual source of these damn things)by "RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove" and switched off DCOM,etc. but still they keep on coming.I have ran Spybot/SpywareBlaster/Adaware/CleanUp,etc but still I get these.Where/how are they getting onto my system? I hope its not thru AOL 9.0 software,as I don't need much in the way of an excuse to dump them as my ISP,their connection software is a pain(RealPlayer/QuickTime,etc)dumping these files all over my PC.I would simply swap to a manually cfg'ed dialup,but all I get is modem timed out/no response from remote puter/incorrect username|password.

This is a screenshot of one of the offenders...
click here

Diodorus Siculus 14:04 25 Mar 05

How to Disable Windows Messenger Service
click here

Yoda Knight 14:05 25 Mar 05

Have u disabled the messenger service itself (different to windows messenger)

Chegs ® 14:10 25 Mar 05

Cheers folks,disabled it in "Services" just gonna wait and see.

I am puzzled tho' surely if Messenger is uninstalled,it should cure my PC of these popups?(even tho' it plainly hadn't)

VoG II 14:17 25 Mar 05

Messenger Service is different from Windows Messenger click here

Chegs ® 14:30 25 Mar 05

Thanks Vog,I had already collected "Shoot The Messenger" app,its just that after a reinstall of XP running ALL the various "tweaks" to create a user friendly,spam free PC when all these tweaking apps are hiding in amongst several Gb's of software its understandable I'm going to miss a couple.I will be off to Black Viper later,to turn off as many "Services" as I can.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…