plagued by pop-up

geedad 07:56 31 Aug 07

Although I have downloaded 1 or 2 new anti-spyware files, and I have PCGuard (Virgin) installed, I am still plagued by an advertising file (UNWANTED) called Avisystemcare.com. No matter what I do, I cannot get rid of this nuisance, which plasters my screen with advetts from iPods to all sorts of things. I do not want this to interfere with my daily logging on and PC activities. Has anyone had the same experience with a possible solution, please?
geedad

VoG II 08:10 31 Aug 07

We've been here before click here

Download HJT click here and post your log on the Malware Removal Forum click here

birdface 09:03 31 Aug 07

You could try this free scan from Xoftspy. click here Now whether it deletes what it finds or you have to pay for the full version I do not know.I know that I used to use it a few years back and it used to find things that others do not.May be worth a try if nothing else helps.If you are using Internet Explorer, You could download IE7 Pro,That is a pop-up stopper,But you really want to get rid of your problem first. click here

mfletch 18:58 31 Aug 07

Hi This is a reply to both posts,

Download and use Rogue Remover this will remove AVSystemcare Are you sure there is a i after the V?

click here

mfletch

rdave13 20:15 31 Aug 07
  geedad 22:46 31 Aug 07

buteman
Xoftspy downloaded and scanned but want a fee for (£20) for removing. Lokks OK but I am still going for freebies where I can! Thanks!
mfletch
Thanks, Downloaded Rogue Remover trial, but one of the links took me to "FORBIDDEN" as it did with VoG™s link.
VoG™
Thanks for the other suggestion about posting to the Malware Forum, but again I drew a blank because it took me to the "Forbidden" screen again!
geedad

VoG II 23:05 31 Aug 07

Please be patient - I'm going to consult an expert.

lotvic 23:31 31 Aug 07

I found this info about AVSystemCare on Norton symantec's threats info page click here it also tells you how to remove the registry entries that have been created

hope it helps

Nellie2 23:35 31 Aug 07

If the infection is stopping from getting to some websites then your hosts file may have been edited, to reset it you can do the following;

Download HostsXpert and unzip it to your desktop. click here

Open HostsXpert that you earlier unzipped on your desktop

* Click "Make Hosts Writable?" upper right corner (if available)
* Click "Restore Microsoft's Original Hosts File" and then click OK
* Close HostsXpert

There is a good write up about AVSystemCare here click here and you can see that you should be able to uninstall most of it in add/remove programs and that Rogue Remover should see to the rest. However you may have other problems on your computer and I suggest that you ask for help at MalwareRemoval as suggested by VoG

Dipso 23:42 31 Aug 07

This is an extremely annoying piece of malware. I finally got rid using a combination of A Squared, Spybot S & D, Adaware and SUPERantispyware click here configured as follows -

Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
Click the Scanning Control tab.
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".

Check msconfig for any unknown entries, a random series of letters with a .exe suffix, if you find any post back or do a Google. Even if you think you've got it using the above you may find it re-infests as it seems to load at start up.

Make sure you disable System Restore after removal then enable when clear.

lotvic 23:50 31 Aug 07

Have you deleted
C:\Windows\System32\fsjgdtjfwu.exe
as per rdave13's link click here to other thread?
It seems deleting this gets rid of the pop-ups.
(Last post by Puddinghead on Wed, [email protected]:33)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…