Placing "search facility" on web page

louandel 12:17 18 Jun 06

Hi,
I am just updating my cat website and wanting to provide a cat photo album of pictures people send in. To allow people to go to the pictures they wish I can either place a search facility or perhaps easier an alphabet at top of page leading to relevant pics. Would these involve a knowledge of java script? I have no problems with html and css and use dreamweaver.

Thanx for any ideas

Louandel

acsmanhtml12 14:53 18 Jun 06

A few "Web Design" magazines have covered this in the past. You could add a Google Search facility but not sure wether this covers images. The only reason I say this is you could type the image name in but it might only cover text.

acsmanhtml12 14:54 18 Jun 06

Also a link to the site please so that we can have a look at it?

louandel 18:19 18 Jun 06

I havent really started the photos page as i need to know how it is going to be structured first. I don't understand how google search would be useful for me. I just need a place where surfer can place thier cats name or whatever and it would link to a page in the one of the pages of the album

ade.h 18:23 18 Jun 06

The Google site search add-in does exactly that. It searches the web as well with the click of a radio button, but that's incidental.

There is another site search add-in that was recommended to me recently (by barryoneoff I think). If I can find the thread, I'll give you the link.

ade.h 18:36 18 Jun 06

I've been through six pages of Webdesign threads in My Postings and I can't find it! I knew I should have bookmarked it at the time.....

louandel 20:07 18 Jun 06

Thanks for all your trouble ade.

However I must be stupid. I still dont understand how i can transfer this add on to my web page?

louandel

mco 22:11 18 Jun 06

this one (which I found via adeh btw and I think that's the one barryoneoff suggested) I put it on my sites and it searches and finds photos too and it is really really good...click here

ade.h 22:21 18 Jun 06

That's the one. Well done, mco!

(Putting it in my bookmarks now...)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…