"Place Holders" instead of pictures in IE7

six-h 00:40 04 Sep 08

Occasionally, I get the "Red X" instead of pictures on some sites, and some forums where I've pasted a screen shot via Photobucket.
I searched the helproom for advice, and worked through the advice on the MS site to no avail.
I have a sneaky feeling that windows Firewall is responsible, but not sure.
Any Ideas??

rdave13 00:48 04 Sep 08

Try disabling all your tool-bars in IE7. Sometimes it can affect the loading of internet explorer.
See how it goes then re-enable the tool bars.

six-h 01:06 04 Sep 08

Got rid of all the toolbars, they were taking up valuable realestate space. lol

rdave13 01:11 04 Sep 08

Know what you mean.
Two come to mind, Flash and Java.
Suppose both updated and older versions removed and rebooted?

six-h 01:32 04 Sep 08

flash, It's currently listed in add-on's as "Flash9f.ocx", can't find the file to see what version it is.

rdave13 01:40 04 Sep 08

Little 'un has just come down stairs this minute. Will have to go but try updating IE 7 to IE 8 beta 2.
click here
Good night.

six-h 02:26 04 Sep 08

but I'll leave others to find the bugs in IE8 lol.

Don't want to upset my nice new installation...at least 'till I've invested in Acronis!!

Les28 09:17 04 Sep 08

I had a similar problem, scroll down to the reply that worked for me, it's post 7 of 22.
This was using XP and it was February last year, so maybe Java and Flash will be newer versions now. Think windows script installer version is still the latest, then it's just altering security settings in IE7.
With you mentioning a new installation I wondered if this may help.

click here

six-h 16:43 04 Sep 08

Thanks for your link, I've followed all the instructions there, and found all to be set as described, except the internet security level, which is at it's default "Medium High". lowering it to "Medium" makes no difference!!
It must be something else that's causing it.
I can't think what, as it only affects the odd picture.
This is what I sometimes get: -[IMG]click here[/IMG]
(and what I'd like to do to it!)

Les28 10:55 05 Sep 08

Sorry the link never helped six-h, by the way I liked your "what I'd like to do with it".
I was wondering is it only the one type image file you are having the red X with? Have you right clicked the placeholder box with the cross in and left clicked properties to find what file it is and is it always the same type that you can't view on different sites?

Was looking at this fix for png files showing as a red X.

click here

six-h 16:18 07 Sep 08

Glad you liked the link! lol
just checking, I find that the place holder appears where the image is an "Http://" link to a jpeg image.

As I say, it doesn't happen much, but it's annoying when it does.
The problem is not that the link is nolonger available, 'cos one of them is a screen shot that I placed in a forum using Photobucket, and the file is still hosted there.

That machine gun link was a development of this one which you've probably seen already: -
[IMG]click here[/IMG]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos