pirate xp

neil67 17:33 16 Feb 07

hope someone can help me
Just purchased a computer off ebay,went too do updates said it was pirate xp ,looked on back it has millenium COA on back is there anyway i can put millenium back on using this sticker without costing me the earth,the reason being just for daughter to do some home work on,so dont need it to be xp
Thanks

mike1967 17:40 16 Feb 07

You can use XP without the updates can't you?

Another way is to go to Microsoft website and report the fact you bought a PC with a pirate copy installed.

Not sure how far you'll get though, a few years ago if you reported someone they would give you the legite for free, is it still going

Also the seller on ebay is breaking there rules, if you dont get a refund give him/her negative feedback

mike1967 17:41 16 Feb 07

Another idea post this on the helproom forum alot more people go there and may give better advice than I have just done

neil67 17:45 16 Feb 07

yeah is it ok to use it without all security updates as my daughter will be going on internet from time to time it has firewall,and anti virus
already reported it to ebay

Totally-braindead 17:49 16 Feb 07

If you report it to Microsoft you will get offered a full version of Windows XP but going by what someone said a couple of weeks ago its £95.
Do you know anyone who has a Windows ME disk? If so you should be able to blank the computer and use that with the legal product key. I think. I kind of skipped ME and went from Win 98SE to XP.
Someone else would have to confirm this.

mike1967 18:03 16 Feb 07

Well to be honest just use it without the updates for now.

I guess you didn't pay a huge amount for it

neil67 18:04 16 Feb 07

ok thanks for your help

mike1967 18:06 16 Feb 07

just get antivirus and a firewall

all available for free

spuds 18:26 16 Feb 07

I believe there was a ongoing argument about Microsoft's stance on pirate copies. In the UK they did replace for legit copies, but that as now ceased. In the USA, there appears to be a different attitude, in which Microsoft still replace pirate copies for free after investigation.

Perhaps someone can confirm the latest on this issue!.

BRUM-WELSH 21:01 16 Feb 07

i was sold a pc from Tiy
ny before going bust!recovery disc didnt work,was told my copy of xp was illegal!worth the £95 as i was emailed a product key to make it legal(xp proffesional),then sent via post full xp disc.worth doing.

BRUM-WELSH 21:04 16 Feb 07

just to add..microsoft couldnt prosecute Tiny as they were insolvent!their response to my anger LOL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced