Pirate Downloads

Boffin Boy 23:30 30 May 04

Hello.
I have recently been surfing the web and found a website containing free downloads for Windows XP pro, GTA3 and Other full version downloads. I am intrigued by this. I cannot understand how this works.

What's the catch?

Forum Editor 23:33 30 May 04

that the software is illegal at best, and riddled with viruses at worst. Anyone who downloads and installs pirate versions of Windows (or any other software) is asking for trouble.

Totally-braindead 23:34 30 May 04

The catch is A its illegal and B who knows what you might end up downloading. You should only download files from sites you can trust and if the site you've found is offering the option of downloading Windows XP then I would suggest you can't trust it.

Totally-braindead 23:35 30 May 04

FE beat me to it, but then being the FE he should be a faster typer.

Fruit Bat 23:35 30 May 04

Probably full of spyware and trojans.

Do you need to leave any sort of Ddetails?

If something looks too good to be true it probably is!

Or am I just getting cynical in my old age?

BeForU 23:38 30 May 04

Exactly what the Forum Editor just said. These sorts of websites either provide illegal full copies of software and/or modified versions which are referred to by the term of 'warez'. You are basically asking for trouble should you wish to get anything. Its plain and obviously illegal as we've mentioned and yes they can be riddled with all sorts of mischief.

Belatucadrus 23:41 30 May 04

From your posting title I think you do understand, there is no free version of XP pro, so piracy is the operative word. The catch apart from being theft of copyright and illegal is that warez sites remain a pretty good way of downloading viruses.

There's loads of legal free software available at sites like click here , stick with them.

Dan the Confused 23:43 30 May 04

You usually do have to give details about yourself on these sites and since what these people do is illegal there is no way I would trust them an inch with my details.

Djohn 23:47 30 May 04

I agree with above but I think Boffin Boy is asking "How it works?" I'm intrigued as well.

What does someone achieve from putting a £300-£500 program onto the internet for others to download free.

They don't charge for it, yet they must have acquired it from somewhere themselves in the first place. Surely they don't purchase the software at their own expense then give it away to all and sundry free of cost, or do they?

woodchip 23:51 30 May 04

There's nothing so queer as folks, they even call them gay today

Djohn 23:53 30 May 04

;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…