Pipex Speedtouch Modem- No ethernet cable?

buel 17:41 PM 29 Jul 12

Hi, Im trying to set up my friend's new computer. He has given me a Pipex homecall set up CD and a very small 'Speedtouch' modem that appears to have no ethernet cable with it, just a usb lead to the PC and a normal telephone cable? Is this right? Shouldn't it be a wireless router?

onthelimit1 18:33 PM 29 Jul 12

A modem connects by USB and a router by ethernet. Most ISPs provide a wireless router these days. Is this a new contract? Probably best to ring the ISP and ask for a free upgrade.

KRONOS the First 18:47 PM 29 Jul 12

Unless of course he is still on dial-up then the modem is all he will need.

KRONOS the First 18:47 PM 29 Jul 12

Unless of course he is still on dial-up then the modem is all he will need.

KRONOS the First 18:49 PM 29 Jul 12

This site is still working well, for some reason a double post.

lotvic 18:50 PM 29 Jul 12

Blimey, that's ancient.... my ISP sent me a proper router years ago to replace the USB Modem they had originally supplied about 15 years ago.

Tell him to get a proper router with ethernet connection. If he rings his ISP (Pipex?) they should send him one for free.

lotvic 18:51 PM 29 Jul 12

..unless of course, as per Chronus said twice, so I'll refrain :)

Ventad 21:39 PM 29 Jul 12

Pipex has now finished its now talktalk for home users. Finished November 2012 .

Pipex has now finished its now talktalk for home users. Finished November 2012 .

Ventad 21:41 PM 29 Jul 12

Talk about double posts how about triple. Is that a world record?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

MIT builds an awesome 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites