pipex 50mb webspace

©®@$? 00:03 11 Feb 04

hi, im with pipex 512 kb and get 50mb free webspace

i use cute ftp pro to upload..

if i dont have anything uploaded,and i got my web address i get a message no index.html.

but if i just upload files i get the same message

when my freind who is on plusnet ,just uploads files it creates an ftp parent directory with a list of the files, mine does not i have to have a index.html

my question

does this mean i cannot have an ftp site and it has to be a http with an index.html

just wondering if anyone knows about this,possibly who are with pipex!

i'm taking my first steps to creating a website!

©®@$? 12:19 11 Feb 04

^

tomleady 13:23 11 Feb 04

not quite sure what the prob is, but here is a stab at it:

i 'think' you need to creat your own index.html page. whatever you want your first page to be, call that index.html and upload it. try it.

if index.html doesnt work. try calling it default.htm(l)

good luck.

Tom

©®@$? 13:29 11 Feb 04

hi, i can upload index.html etc and it shows i don't have a problem there, i was wondering if i could just upload files wothout an index.html, but it seems i cannot!

it is as if my webspace is looking for index.html (start page) before anything else..

Taran 13:57 11 Feb 04

Web servers are set to look for a series of file names in a certain order when a web address is requested.

If you type this into your browser address bar and hit Enter:

www mysite .com

the browser goes looking for whichever page the web server your site and its files are being served from offers it.

The majority of web servers are pre-set to look for index.html then index.htm then possibly one or two alternatives like index.php or default.asp

If your web server has been pre-set for index.html then any other file name will not be loaded when someone requests your site.

If you want other files, pages and whatnot to be available on your site you should create the relevant hyperlinks from your index.html page to them.

Most web hosts strictly control FTP on a site for file transfer other than uploading or downloading your personal web files. If you want to set up some kind of file download facility there are ways and means but I would need alot more information about the file types and size before suggesting an appropriate solution.

©®@$? 14:30 11 Feb 04

thanks,as i suspected

now thats cleared up!

i shall continue with my basic webpage!

©®@$? 14:30 11 Feb 04

oh and taran if you don't mind, some time in the future i will probably calling your name for some advice

Taran 14:37 11 Feb 04

Any time you need to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5