Pioneer DVD ROM 114 problem

sellewe 22:27 14 Dec 03

I have installed a Pioneer DVD rom on my HP Pavilion and the computer recognises it but I do not have a driver. The pioneer site is not very helpful so could anyone please give me information where I could download a suitable driver? My OS is Microsoft XP Home.
This is a DVD rom from another machine but I do not have any disk for it.

hugh-265156 22:51 14 Dec 03

with xp you dont need a driver.

sellewe 23:04 14 Dec 03

huggyg71. I do not understand your reply as the computer tells my that the driver is missing. The "Detected new hardware wizard" pops up and when I follow it it gives me the information.

hugh-265156 23:40 14 Dec 03

sorry im thinking of cdrom and cd writers.

not sure about dvd drives.

Stuartli 09:26 15 Dec 03

You don't need a driver other than the standard Windows CD-ROM driver, which should automatically be installed when you have connected up the Pioneer and bootup; the version of Windows is not an issue.

It's been stated often enough in these columns - perhaps you are thinking of firmware, which many people confuse with drivers.

Stuartli 09:28 15 Dec 03

I have a Pioneer 116 DVD-ROM drive - as stated it uses the standard Windows driver.

mrh 21:24 15 Dec 03

i would check with microsoft hardware compatability - i'll think you will find that the pioneer 114 is not compatable with xp = due to a firmware problem

Stuartli 09:30 16 Dec 03

Pioneer's firmware, drivers and utilities page is at:

click here

but points out that, as I stated earlier, the Windows basic driver is all that is required for various versions of Windows. The 2.06 firmware update, however, is on this page if you wish to try it...:-)

Note that the slot loading version of the 114 has digital sound output.

Pioneer's actual statement is:

Win95/98/2000/ME/XP and NT do not require any additional device drivers to control the here below mentioned drives Iincludes 114) as they will use their own generic device drivers. Installing the MS-DOS drivers on a Windows95/98/NT or 2000 system will cause problems as they will conflict with the generic drivers.

One website forum member posted:

This DVD drive came with my dads computer. It worked fine on windows 98 and 2k. I upgraded the OS to windows XP and the first time windows XP boots up it freezes. I got it fixed eventually after upgrading the firmware to version 2.06 and forcing an aspi layer into windows (after waiting almost 2 hours to get to the desktop). Everything was ok for about a year. Now he has got a new Hard drive and so I switched the IDE cables around and guess what, windows froze once again. If I unplug the DVD no probs, which is why I am here now. I have tried flashing the firmware and using force aspi again to no effect. IThis DVD drive came with my dads computer. It worked fine on windows 98 and 2k. I upgraded the OS to windows XP and the first time windows XP boots up it freezes. I got it fixed eventually after upgrading the firmware to version 2.06 and forcing an aspi layer into windows (after waiting almost 2 hours to get to the desktop). Everything was ok for about a year. Now he has got a new Hard drive and so I switched the IDE cables around and guess what, windows froze once again. If I unplug the DVD no probs, which is why I am here now. I have tried flashing the firmware and using force aspi again to no effect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…