Pioneer DVD 108 read problem

Just installed my Pioneer 108 DVD writer. There was no driver but I understand Windows provides this. Got the latest firmware. After initial problems I have now been able to burn a load of photos but I still can't get the player to play a DVD.

I've tried autoplay and manually trying to view a DVD through Windows Media player. I've tried different disks without success. One comes with its own player and give the following error.

"Playback failed due to a problem with the video subsystem. Lowering your screen resolution or color depth may fix the problem " I've tried changing the settings but this does not resolve the problem.

I also note in the bios that the DVD player is seen but I can't seem to set it as a boot up device (like I had with the CD Rom previously).

JonnyTub 11:31 06 Feb 05

do you have a dvd decoder installed ?

well I haven't installed one myself - is it likely I haven't got one then?. How would I check and if I haven't got one where could I get one?

JonnyTub 11:45 06 Feb 05

I wouldn't personally know where to get one from however i do know there are free ones out there which i'm sure someone could advise on

Thanks Jonny. You were quite right, I did need a decoder - happened to have a disk, installed and DVD's play fine. Thanks for the pointer!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…