Pink Screen !

Eargasm 12:28 29 Nov 08

My mate is having trouble with his PC and we are baffled.
It works fine for a few hours and then the screen turns pink, a reboot usually sorts it for a while but it is fairly random, sometimes it is pink when first switched on in a morning but it seems to be happening more frequently now.
We have swapped the monitor, tried a new cable and removed the graphics card and used the on-board graphics but the problem persists,we have removed all the ram and tried it 1 stick at a time but still no joy can anyone help ?

asrock am2nfg-vsta motherboard
3gb ddr2 800 ram
ati radeon x1650 pci express graphics card
xp pro
Thanks

Eargasm 13:10 29 Nov 08

I should of added the monitor is a 19" lcd amw m199d, which has just been replaced under warranty as we thought it was faulty.
I am going to try a spare computer connected to the monitor and see how that is.

Technotiger 13:27 29 Nov 08

Try updating the monitor's Driver. Though this is only a guess!

Switcher 14:10 29 Nov 08

Since you have tried monitor, cable and video card it looks like the only thing you can try now is hormone tablets.

Arnie 17:19 29 Nov 08

Eargasm, I think the pink to which you refer is magenta.Read this it may help.

click here

Arnie.

Arnie 17:46 29 Nov 08

After a bit more research the video drivers may be corrupt.

"I am going to try a spare computer connected to the monitor and see how that is."

This may prove to be the best bet.
Even the new monitor could still be faulty, although it is unlikely to carry the same fault conditions as the one it replaced.

Was the old one replaced because of the magenta hue also showing on it?

Arnie.

Eargasm 11:28 30 Nov 08

Hi Arnie, Yes the monitor was replaced because of the same fault we just assumed it was a faulty monitor.
I went round yesterday and saw the fault for myself it was a pinkish haze with fast moving shimmering horizontal lines across it( hard to describe really )

We updated the ATI graphics driver and all worked fine for about 6 hours, then the fault returned and is as bad as ever this morning.

The computer originally had 2gb of Ram installed and the fault started soon after he installed another 2gb in his spare slots ( 4gb in total plus 256mb graphics memory ) his is a 32 bit system and i know that is far too much ram, i was wondering if that had caused the problem in the first place.
I have a spare tft monitor, so the next step is to try his computer with that and see if the fault happens with that.
We are baffled !

Arnie 14:35 30 Nov 08

“I went round yesterday and saw the fault for myself it was a pinkish haze with fast moving shimmering horizontal lines across it”.

That’s very strange indeed, Just like an out of sync field scan.

Is the new extra RAM that was added, manufactured by the same company as the old installed RAM?
I wonder if your graphics driver is being corrupted by the extra RAM a few hours after it has previously worked perfectly.

I built my computer using a barebones system from Novatech. This came with 512GB of RAM.
Later I added another 512GB of RAM from Crucial, afterwards the computer would not boot into XP unless I removed the Novatech RAM.
I e-mailed Crucial who then sent me details of increasing my computer’s virtual RAM.
I increased it to 500MB but the problem still remained.

After telephoning their helpful lady advisor we agreed that RAM compatibility issues may be the problem. I ordered two more 512MB strips of matching RAM and received them the next morning!

I removed the Novatech Ram and installed the Crucial Ram filling the A0, A1 and A2 banks, after which the computer booted into XP.

I am sure you will find a solution to your problem and when you do, please inform us all how you solved it.

Arnie.

DieSse 16:43 30 Nov 08

"I should of added the monitor is a 19" lcd amw m199d, which has just been replaced under warranty as we thought it was faulty."

Perhaps they thought it wasn't faulty and shipped you the same one back again??

Try your spare monitor ASAP.

Eargasm 16:59 30 Nov 08

Hi
It is definately a different monitor, as a courier came out and dropped off a new monitor at the samr time as picking up the old one. I am on my way over there now with my spare monitor which i know is working fine so i will keep you all posted on the outcome.

Incidently when the monitor is "playing up" the mouse pointer is still white ( no pink haze) and the computer still works fine, apart from it being very difficult to make anything out on the screen. I have also suggested to him to insert just 1gb of ram and run memtest for a few hours on each stick.
Watch this space.......
Thanks to all for your input so far.

Eargasm 17:58 06 Dec 08

Update we are sorted! it's a faulty monitor ( again)

I tried my spare monitor on his machine and it worked fine,( and still is 6 days later) i brought his home and tried it on my spare machine ( with his vga cable) and the same fault showed, great i thought it's the monitor.

But then i thought it could still be a faulty cable, so i tried his monitor on my main machine with my dvi cable and then with his vga cable and the monitor was fine.
His monitor has been connected to my machine for nearly a week now and has worked a treat, until this morning when the fault appeared again.(for a couple of hours)

The fault disappeared again after switching the computer off and on again.
It's certainly had us baffled!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…