Ping not available in XP Professional

Harvey Jones 19:04 22 Jul 03

Can anyone help? When using the ping command in a DOS shell in XP Pro, I get the message... "ping" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Any ideas greatfully accepted.

H

spikeychris 19:09 22 Jul 03

DOS shell? how are you reaching the DOS command. Start, run, cmd, ping.

Chris

Harvey Jones 19:11 22 Jul 03

Yep, readhing dos command by typing cmd at the run point, and then ping within the Dos'like window.

spikeychris 19:15 22 Jul 03

What are you typing after ping?

Smiler 19:16 22 Jul 03

Read page 123 of the September 2003 PC Advisor for full explanation of tuning broadband connection using ping commands in a command window. I assume you do buy the mag as well as use it's website!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harvey Jones 19:18 22 Jul 03

Smiler, read page 123, but stopped when entering ping commands. Doesn't matter whether I ping a web address, IP address or local network machine, XP Pro will not recognise ping as a valid command.

spikeychris 19:23 22 Jul 03

What happens if you type tracert?

Harvey Jones 19:28 22 Jul 03

Exactly the same : "tracert" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

spikeychris 19:32 22 Jul 03

Go to c:\windows\system32..is ping.exe there?

spikeychris 19:45 22 Jul 03

If it is there then it looks like you have a variable problem. Right click My Computer, Advanced tab, click Environment Variables.
Under System Variables look for 'Path' you should see the path to that directory, if there is no path shown double click on the word path and it will open a box above, type this into the variable value box

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM

Chris

Harvey Jones 20:24 22 Jul 03

Excellent, thanks Chris all sorted. It was as you suggested a variable problem, and now works like it should.

H

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…