Ping Attack, NetBIOS Browsing and Cloaking

Geord 00:28 07 Jun 03

I run a Windows Me System and have recently upgraded my anti-virus package to PC-cillin 2002 which incorporates a firewall.

Since having the firewall I am somewhat shocked at the number of the above attacks being logged by the firewall which also notes the number of bytes received and sent. I don't know what the 3 different attacks are, but I imagine that they are not good!

I hope (and presume) that the attacks are now being repelled by the firewall, but am somewhat unsure if there are any steps that I can take to avoid the attacks in the first place.

Can anyone please provide any advice?

Many Thanks.

jazzypop 00:37 07 Jun 03

The very fact that your firewall knows about these events demonstrates that it is repelling 'attacks'. The reality is that these are very, very unlikely to be attacks at all. They are far more likely to be normal network 'noise', for instance your ISP checking that your connection is still live and healthy. Turn the alerts off, and get on with your browsing.

A ping, for instance, is just a form of handshake between two computers - sort of like a submarine sonar 'pinging' the seabed and surrounding area, to confirm what is in proximity to it.

Geord 00:46 07 Jun 03

Many thanks for this jazzypop - this has re-assured me somewhat, and I now know what a "ping"
is.

otubby1 12:28 07 Jun 03

Jazzypop is right. I have run PCCillin for a number of years and never had a problem. In fact it is one of the AV's that are very rarely asked about in this forum.

If you want to find out who they are coming from:

click here

There are three different ways.

Relax and surf with confidence.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…