Pin Plug -> USB ???

VideoSentry 07:46 01 Jan 05

I have been given a second hand machine in which I have installed a Card reader/Floppy drive combo. The card reader is USB2 and the lead terminates in a plug ( not USB ) for internal connection. The only connection for USB on the Mobo has a slightly different pin configuration which I assume is USB 1?( 3 year old Mobo) I have a internal USB socket to which I could connect if the reader cable ended in a USB plug. Is there an adaptor/connector that I can buy? or do I get a surplus USB lead then 'splice' the two together?

Technotiger 08:24 01 Jan 05

Hi, not sure if I could answer your query, but it might help if we knew mobo details.

Cheers.

jack 09:31 01 Jan 05

Some MoBo's do have an internal USB header
-simply 4 pins sticking out of the board.
Some are in a guide so that the in coming plug
goes on aright. This is important as one of the pins is Power the others are ground and data- so you will need the boards hand book or sometimes the legend is on the board. Look long and deep before inserting your pin

howard60 11:32 01 Jan 05

this may help you.
Usb connectors to motherboard

Just follow the labels on the pins
1 +5V = power or pwr = VREG_FP_USBPWR0 = VCC 1
2 +5V = power or pwr = VREG_FP_USBPWR1 = VCC 2
3 USB_FP_P0- = DATA –1
4 USB_FP_P1- = DATA –2
5 USB_FP_P0+ = DATA +1
6 USB_FP_P1+ = DATA +2
7 GROUND = GND 1
8 GROUND = GND 2

ground is obvious
usb2- = data2-

howard60 11:35 01 Jan 05

sorry the system alters layout.
Usb connectors to motherboard

Just follow the labels on the pins
1 +5V = power or pwr = VREG_FP_USBPWR0 = VCC 1
2 +5V = power or pwr = VREG_FP_USBPWR1 = VCC 2
3 USB_FP_P0- = DATA –1
4 USB_FP_P1- = DATA –2
5 USB_FP_P0+ = DATA +1
6 USB_FP_P1+ = DATA +2
7 GROUND = GND 1
8 GROUND = GND 2
ground is obvious
usb2- = data2-

kjrider 12:18 01 Jan 05

I have units with incompatible plugs. You may need to buy & rewire a plug for it - if you can get one. Beware of the 5v supply on it. can damnage if not done correctly.

VideoSentry 07:34 02 Jan 05

Technotiger. I will try and get the Mobo's details and post back. howard60 thanks, Though is my assumption that the pin headers on the MOBO are different for USB1 and USB2?

howard60 16:15 02 Jan 05

separate lines of pins in the same order ie row 1 all usb 1 row 2 all usb 2. I have given you all the different names the pins are called by the different motherboard manufacturers. If you look at the mobo and can read anything by the pins post back and I will try and identify them for you. Your best bet is the mobo manual - if you have not got it then enter the details in google and you will be able to download a pdf copy of it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:32 02 Jan 05

USBMAN
click here

USB FAQ
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:51 02 Jan 05

Red: + 5V / Voltage + / VCC
White: USB - / Data - / D -
Green: USB + / Data + / D +
Black: GND / Voltage - / Ground
Black: S-GND / Over Current
The S-GND wire is fatter and can be easily recognized.
The shiedings of the 2 cables are shorted (connected) internally and converged into one S-GND wire. The connection of S-GND wire to the header pin is optional.

: On most motherboards, the USB header/pin-out consists of 9 pins arranged in 2 rows; and each header allows for 2 USB connections (i.e. USB1 and USB2). Normally, the pins for USB1 and USB2 are in seperate rows.

.....5v data- data+ grnd sgrnd R W G B B

.... 5v data- data+ grnd sgrnd R W G B

2x5 pins header has 2 S-GND pins. You can leave one of the S-GND pins unconnected. Please make sure that the color coded wires are connected to the correct pins.

: On some motherboards, the 4 active pins are not arranged in one same row.

.... DATA2+ GRND DATA1- NO CONNECTION FOR SGRND

..... 5V 5V DATA2- DATA1+ GRND

I have a doc with pics e-mail (yellow envelope) for a copy

VideoSentry 12:58 09 Jan 05

With thanks all- especially Fruit Bat /\0/\- , I have now connected the card reader and have 3 happy Kids ( for the moment).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…