.pif file, Virus?

monkeyshine 23:48 10 Jun 03

Just received an email from a friend in Germany, it was obviously not intended for me. In the To: line it says "none" without quotes. It has an attachment ending .JPG.pif. After saving the attachment to Desktop it shows as an executable text file but with no .pif extension, right click will not show "scan with" but AVG will not allow it to be opened, says hidden extension .pif.

I fear my friend has caught a virus. Anyone got knowledge of this?

troydi 23:57 10 Jun 03

What is the name of the file? It sounds likely that it is a virus. If AVG won't let you open it, then probably is. click here

monkeyshine 00:00 11 Jun 03

It doesn't have a name only a number starting with P. Deleted it anyway, but would like to inform my friend but not alarm him if it is NOT a virus.

troydi 00:15 11 Jun 03

Hmm. I would suggest that your friend uses some software to do his own check. It sounds highly suspicious. If it WAS a virus, he would not have known that the email was sent with the file. Thats always a good check. Ask him if he meant to send it.

User-312386 00:22 11 Jun 03

are you sure it is not a .pdf file

monkeyshine 00:24 11 Jun 03

Thanx, already advised him to run Housecall I've got a suspicion that he hasn't updated AVG since I visited in November!!

monkeyshine 00:26 11 Jun 03

Nope, defo .pif!

User-312386 00:28 11 Jun 03

A program information file (PIF)
program information file (PIF)

A file that provides information to Windows about how best to run MS-DOS-based programs. When you start an MS-DOS-based program, Windows looks for a PIF to use with it.

PIFs contain such items as the name of the file, a start-up directory, and multitasking options.is created when you create a shortcut shortcut

A link to any item accessible on your computer or on a network, such as a program, file, folder, disk drive, Web page, printer, or another computer. You can put shortcuts in various areas, such as on the desktop, on the Start menu, or in specific folders.to, or modify the properties of, an MS-DOS MS-DOS

An operating system used on all personal computers and compatibles. As with other operating systems, it translates user keyboard input into operations the computer can perform. MS-DOS can be easily accessed by using the command prompt, while MS-DOS-based programs can be accessed through the use of shortcuts on the desktop.-based program. PIFs allow you to set default properties for MS-DOS programs, such as font size, screen colors, and memory allocation.

When you change any settings in an MS-DOS-based program, a PIF is automatically created. The settings you specify will be used each time you start the program by double-clicking its icon. If you start the program from a command prompt window, these settings won't be used.

Creating a program information file (PIF) for an MS-DOS-based program creates a shortcut to the program executable. All the settings saved in the PIF file are contained in the shortcut. Windows displays PIF files as shortcuts.

Nosmas 00:34 11 Jun 03
  monkeyshine 00:54 11 Jun 03

Thanks for the links, but the email came from his proper address, the text however, was definitely not meant for me. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that he IS infected. I will phone him tomorrow.

PCA_Expert 01:09 11 Jun 03

Hi,

A jpg.pif file is almost certainly a virus...delete it...Tell your German friend to be on guard...end of.

Good luck.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…