Pie Charts in Microsoft Word

Gary 10:15 02 May 03

I have a Word document in which are inserted a number of Pie Charts. I inserted these using the built in Chart tool (Insert | Pictures | Chart). They look fine when I have inserted them. However, when I have saved the document and reopen it, the lines at the edges of the charts become "wonky" squiggley lines instead of smooth circular curves (sorry - best way I can describe it)!!

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix?

-pops- 10:23 02 May 03

What do they look like printed on paper?

Gary 10:33 02 May 03

They still look funny - with "wiggly" edges.

VoG™ 10:38 02 May 03

I can't reproduce your problem.

When I want to insert a chart in a Word document, I create the chart in Excel. Then select the chart, Shift+Edit on the Menu bar, release Shift and select Copy Picture. Then go into Word and Paste (or better Edit/Paste Special, which gives you more control).

You could try this and see if you encounter the same "distortion".

-pops- 10:46 02 May 03

Oh!

The reason I asked was because I have a document with Wordart on it. On screen, the Wordart is all jagged and rubbish but it prints OK.

Can I suggest you try VoG™'s advice, which is the method I would use as well.

Brian

Gary 10:52 02 May 03

I've tried VoGs method by creating a chart in Excel and copying it into Word, and see the same problem.

The chart appears with wiggly edges. Interestingly, whatever program the chart is created in it doesn't look wiggly if I double click it in word so that it is active and editable. However, when I click off the graph and go back to working on my text, the wiggly lines reappear.

I've had the problem in the past and have recently upgraded to a new computer so everything has been installed afresh, so I don't think it is anything to do with my computer?

Just to illustrate the problem more clearly, and in the hope that you will be able to help me further, I have taken a screenshot of the graph which shows the problem and posted it in my webspace. click here to see it.

Looking forward to any more suggestions!
Regards
Gary

-pops- 10:59 02 May 03

The chart appears to be at an usuitable resolution for its size. 752 x 361 pixels is not enough for a picture of that size.

Brian

Gary 11:04 02 May 03

Yep - I know, that isn't the file I'm printing from. The original is a vector based chart (as created by Excel or Word's chart feature) and not a jpg image. What I have posted in the webspace at the link above is simply a screenshot to show the problem.

As you say, an image of this quality would be insufficient for print purposes, but I hope that it will serve to illustrate the problem to people reading this thread.

Gary 12:31 02 May 03

Could it be a known problem? Do other people have the same issue?

Gary 17:37 02 May 03

to those people who have already replied. For those people who have been trying to replicate this problem, here is a bit more information. Perhaps if you see the problem yourselves you will know how to fix it? [at least that's what I'm hoping :) ]

I tried this on another computer. I created the charts and they looked fine. I saved the document, opened it, closed it, edited it, modified it, resaved it, and still everything looked fine. However, when I set the zoom level to be fairly high (150-200%) I could see the problem clearly. Printing it out I got the same results as before.

I'd really like to find a solution to this problem because it's incredibly annoying! (If I can't find a way to do it directly, I'm going to make the graphs again so they look OK, enlarge them to fill the screen, take screenshots and then insert them back into the document scaled down to hide jaggies the screenshot will have. They couldn't look worse than they do now!

For those people who haven't been following this thread, click here to see a screenshot of the graph when the problem has occurred.

Legolas 19:36 02 May 03

I have tried a few pie charts and I have not been able to replicate your results. Although some of the lines are a bit jagged they are not as bad as your example. In my examples the left hand side of the chart is a bit jagged and the right hand side is smooth, also the bigger the pie slices the worse the jaggedness is. Sorry to say I have no real answer to your problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…