Pictures in website lacking sharpness

kumo22 21:27 05 Sep 06

This is probably NOT a website issue more a digital image problem, however any advice will be appreciated.

I am using Serif Webplus 9 to design a website to display family photographs. Serif as a program works just fine.

However when I insert a photograph (taken with a digital camera and downloaded to my PC) the actual image size is huge (full screen size). When I shrink this image to say 600 x 450 pixels the image is sharp. If I further shrink to say 300 x 225 the clarity diminishes.

Any thoughts particularly as to whether I should have manipulated the image first before inserting in the web site.

Thanks
Mike

gibbs1984 22:40 05 Sep 06

Use Picasa 2 free from google click here

Best free tool I have ever used for organisation and image manipulation plus very easy to use.

Steve

ade.h 18:45 06 Sep 06

The software, resampling method and file format will all greatly influence the quality that is achievable when resizing an image.

kumo22 20:26 06 Sep 06

Thank you,

I have a copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements 4. I presume then that I can this to re-size and save.

The only problem is I have never used it!

Mike

STREETWORK 21:24 06 Sep 06

Yes, you can do it with this, and I believe that you can optimise pictures for websites, I can do it in version 2. What format are you saving as?

ade.h 21:29 06 Sep 06

PhotoImpact has all sorts of advanced save options for each file type, including compression type, amount of compression, etc. Similarly, resizing an image gives options for the resampling type, etc. Any good image editor would have these options, and they are worth experimenting with.

kumo22 23:30 07 Sep 06

Thanks,

Streetwork - The images are saved as jpeg, although this is only by default as I have done nothing to them. Literally I take a photo, transfer it to my computer, save it in "my pictures"

ade.h 23:51 07 Sep 06

Jpeg is a lossy format due to the compression. If you are working with a digital camera, use RAW if it is supported (which it should be IMO) then convert them in an image editor, not in Windows itself.

HighTower 14:21 11 Sep 06

I find that after resizing images (to the axact size you need them in your website) applying a light sharpening filter makes them much more acceptable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac