PICTURE SIZES WHY ARE THEY DIFFERENT

bowl 21:41 14 Jan 04

Can anyone please explain why when I input a picture size ie. 7x5 even in the set sizes they always print up smaller ie 6.5x4.75 and is there anything I can do about it without always inputting a larger size and wasting ink and paper.
Hope someone can help thanks

Pesala 22:46 14 Jan 04

People will need to know.

hugh-265156 22:57 14 Jan 04

as above what program are you printing from.

from my own limited experience with an epson printer i find that setting the print size in the program you are printing from usually works ok but you need to set the paper size/reduce enlarge etc in your control panel/printer properties and save it otherwise you need to reset each time you go to print the photo from the third party software otherwise it tries to fit to your default settings when you click print.if that makes sense.

bowl 23:28 14 Jan 04

sorry my os is 98se
my printer is lexmark p707 with lexmark photo centre.

hugh-265156 23:58 14 Jan 04

im sorry,im not familiar with windows 98 or lexmark printers and software but in control panel is your printer listed here?

if so right click it and select properties/printing defaults or similar and set up paper size and quality settings and save it here.

next try your software and before printing set up as you normally do then print.

works for me.

lotvic 00:15 15 Jan 04

a workaround is to save the picture to file and then insert it into word and then click on the image and (using the ruler as a guide) drag the corner until it measures 7 x 5 or whatever you want. A bonus to doing it this way is you can easily put text captions on etc. I always make sure I have a one line space at the top of page so that I can move the pic on the page by using the return line keyboard button.

Stuartli 09:05 15 Jan 04

A digital camera's format is slightly different to that of a 35mm film camera and some online digital printing labs let you take account of this fact.

Some interesting details about digital camera technology, plus the claim that the latest top range models rival or even better 35mm quality, can be found at:

click here

Bagsey 09:23 15 Jan 04

If you have a DTP program eg MS Publisher or Serif etc. put your photo into that and you will be able to adjust its size to your requirements.

minter 09:42 15 Jan 04

Printers leave a white edge around pics that you print by default. My old Epson used to have a min. 3mm top/left/right and 14mm bottom. There was no way round it.

Don't know about your Lexmark, but most recent printers have the ability to give full frame prints.

Have a look in the printer's utilities and see if there is any suggestion of a full frame printing ability - if not sorry, but you will have a white margin by default.

minter 10:00 15 Jan 04

Have just found:
Up to 4800 x 1200 dpi resolution
Up to 17 pages per minute in black
Up to 10 pages per minute in colour
Prints an A6 photo in 60 seconds
Built in Digital Camera Card Readers
Edge to Edge Printing
6 Colour Printing
Automatic Paper Type Sensor
Windows & Mac compatible
USB Interface
Maximum resolution horizontal 4800 dpi
Maximum resolution vertical 1200 dpi
The Lexmark P707 is an exclusive* photo printer with 6 colour inks and superior dpi resolution for the highest quality photos and graphics.

The P707 features digital camera card readers, capable of reading up to 6 types of memory cards for fast and easy uploading of your favourite digital images ready to edit, enhance and print out. Use 6 colour printing for realistic skin tones and natural looking photos.

A clever automatic media type sensor automatically detects the paper type and then adjusts the print settings, saving you time and input.

Photo software is the perfect digital editing tool and so much more. Edit photos, create electronic photo albums, resize, remove red eye and many other creative tasks.

The important bit is - edge to edge printing - it should print the full width of the paper.

You will have, in your printer set-up, a few settings that you can make. One of the settings will be to "page set-up" and in there will be a "borderless" print option (usually it only works with photo quality paper) you have to set this manually.

bowl 22:44 15 Jan 04

Thanks very much for all of your suggetions I will try them and see which brings the best results

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…