Picture Quality

julesb78 12:35 30 Apr 09

Hi, after reading review on this site I bought an Eclipse Solar PC which comes with a 1Gb ATi Radeon HD 4650 PCI-Express VGA Card.

I was a bit dissapointed to find that thiswas only a generic card, not a ATi or branded model... but I should have read the small print.

Anyway, when hooking the system up to my LCD screen using a VGA cable and adapter to attached to the computers DVI port the picture quality is not as good as I had hoped. (my 4yr old dell inspiron 9300 with a basic Nvidia card gave a much better picture).

Could it be the cheap generic card?, or the fact im using a VGA - DVI adapter be causing the poor picture? Could it be settings?

Would I be better off getting a DVI - HDMI cable (my LCD screenhas HDMI but not DVI)

Thanks!

Stuartli 12:42 30 Apr 09

Graphics cards are made by a number of companies, but virtually all use either an ATi or nVidia graphics chipset.

Basically each manufacturer will add or remove certain features, games software and memory according to the price point at which the card is aimed.

Stuartli 12:45 30 Apr 09

>>comes with a 1Gb ATi Radeon HD 4650 PCI-Express VGA Card. >>

If that isn't a "branded" graphics card, I'd love to know your definition of one...:-)

julesb78 12:50 30 Apr 09

I get it, its a generic card with good quality ATi chips... but could the generic card they are sat on be the reason for my substandard dispay...

or the cables im using (as stated in the initial post)

Cheers guys!

Stuartli 12:54 30 Apr 09

>>I get it, its a generic card with good quality ATi chips.>>

Nearly there. It is, in fact, a graphics card manufactured by ATi itself using its own chipsets...:-)

See:

click here

for product details and drivers and software downloads.

Stuartli 12:56 30 Apr 09

According to the description of your card it has HDMI output:

click here

Bob The Blob 13:21 30 Apr 09

I'd guess the dvi-vga adapter could be the problem. Find an alternative way to connect to the monitor.

julesb78 14:03 30 Apr 09

Thanks Stu, nope no HDMI out , just two DVI's

Rigga 14:08 30 Apr 09

Maybe the settings are not correct for your LCD native resolution

Can you check the manual for your LCD and make sure the native resolution is the same as your computer is setup to output.

In XP right click desktop and choose properties / settings and make sure the screen resolution is the same as that stated for your LCD.

HTH. R.

julesb78 14:20 30 Apr 09

Ill try that thanks, on close inspection earlier it is mostly JPEGS (such as my facebook prfile pic) that look a bit rubbish!
No idea why that would be!

Stuartli 14:43 30 Apr 09

..your TV and graphic card's "HDMI" sockets:

click here

Virtually all HD 4650 graphics cards for which I've looked up the specs state HDTV output using a DVI to HDMI Adapter; also has HDCP support. See, for instance:

click here

ATi's HD technology:

click here

So it seems you require a a DVI to HDMI Adapter as you have suggested..:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…