Picture Formats

BigAl127 12:35 28 Jun 03

I have Serif Photoplus 8.0 installed and this as automatically become the default program when I open a picture file. Hence all my pics have now become files with an *.Spp extension as opposed to *.jpg.

Also in Photoplus 8.0 the only option in save as is Photoplus Pictures *.Spp

Is there any way to make my pics stay in their original format i.e. *.bmp *.jpg etc ?

Or any suggestions for a better program that'll run under Windows XP.

Thanx in advance for any help.

switch to the GIMP.

your should be able to reset the file associations via Folder OPtions,

i have always avoided serif products but check to see if the there is an option in the file menu to Export rather than save as.

BigAl127 13:03 28 Jun 03

Excuse my ignorance but can you explain what GIMP is please.

VoG II 13:05 28 Jun 03
  Pesala 13:09 28 Jun 03

For other tasks you will find Irfan View click here much more powerful. I use it for all my basic tasks: resizing, converting, cropping, rotating, flipping, etc. It can make screen savers, do batch conversion and renaming, and is an excellent image browser.

If I do need to do retouching or masking. I use Corel Photopaint.

All you need to do is download and install Irfan View and make it your default program for all graphic types except *.spp files. It is absolutely free with no nag screens.

Pesala 14:23 28 Jun 03

Well worth visiting the Serif Forum for help in using Photo Plus where threads like this one click here explain why PP saves in its own native format.

Date: 6/18/2003 4:11:22 AM Author: Jim B.

Subject: Re:How do you save it as a JPG?

You save in spp format, which retains your layers and other edits. You can later reopen your spp file and make additional changes to your layers.

You export as jpg or whatever other file format you want, but exporting will merge/flatten your image and all edits into a single plane. You can later reopen your JPG or whatever file, but you won't have any of the original/previous layers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…