Picture download problems

Gazpacho_uk 19:06 10 Mar 03

Up until two days ago any pictures I have downloaded off the net I have been able to save them as any format I wish JPG being the chosen format. But for some reason the only option I have of saving these files is in BMP format. The only change to the pc was a "system restore" around the same time the problems started.

Thanx in advance for any help

User-312386 19:07 10 Mar 03

what o/s are you using ? ME?

anchor 19:09 10 Mar 03

Many of the pictures on the the net are jpg`s, but lots of others are bmp`s, and others are gif`s.

I suspect that there is nothing wrong with your PC, its just the original format of the picture you are downloading.

User-312386 19:13 10 Mar 03

click here;en-us;Q260650

madboy33

anchor 19:15 10 Mar 03

Try this for a test. Go to:

click here

This is a picture of mine in jpg format. Try saving it, and see if you have a problem in saving it as a jpg.

User-312386 19:16 10 Mar 03

SYMPTOMS
When you use the Save Picture As command for a graphics file in Internet Explorer, you may be able to save the file only as a BMP file, even if the file is in another format (such as GIF or JPEG). The file name may also appear as "Untitled."
CAUSE
There are several reasons why this issue may occur.
This issue may occur if your Temporary Internet pages cache is full.
This issue can occur if you have "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" selected in Tools, Options, Advanced Tab and are loading the page over a secure connection (https).
This issue can occur when you connect to a Web site using an address that contains <username:password>. For example, the server is accessed through click here;username:[email protected]>/default.htm, instead of click here;site>/default.htm.
For more information about an additional cause for this issue, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
250747 Right-Clicking, Selecting 'Save Picture As' Does Not Save Image with Correct Extension

WORKAROUND
You can use any one of three methods to work around this issue.
Workaround for Cause 1
To resolve, delete the temporary internet files by selecting Tools, Options, General tab and select the Delete Files button.

NOTE: To locate the Temporary Internet Files folder, click Options on the Tools menu, click the General tab, and then click Settings. The current location is indicated in the Settings dialog box.
Workaround for Cause 2
To workaround, uncheck "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" from Tools, Options, Advanced Tab. Then select View, Refresh to reload the page.

Workaround for Cause 3
Method 1
Open the Temporary Internet Files directory and locate the image that you attempted to save.
Right click the image and click Open.
When the image loads into Internet Explorer, right click the image and click Save Picture As. The correct file type and name should be correct.
Method 2
Type in the direct path to the image that you wish to save.
When the image loads into Internet Explorer, right click the image and select Save Picture As. The correct file type and name should be correct.
Method 3
You can also save the file in .bmp format, and then use a graphics editor to convert the file to the desired file format.
STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.

Gazpacho_uk 19:17 10 Mar 03

My operating system is XP. I have been to sites where I know the pic format is JPG, but my pc will only allow me to save in BMP. I have saved the pic at this site previously (by the way ..... all clean pics !!!!! unfortunatly they are Marillion concert pix)

User-312386 19:17 10 Mar 03

what the above article means is this

save the file as a .bitmap file

now paint, save the file as a .jpeg and then you should have the save as .jpeg back

madboy33

Gazpacho_uk 19:19 10 Mar 03

Thanx for the pic ..... unfortunatly I was only offered the BMP format to save the pic

User-312386 19:19 10 Mar 03

now open paint, save the file as a .jpeg and then you should have the save as .jpeg back

anchor 19:21 10 Mar 03

If you still cannot save it as a jpg, look here for the solution from Microsoft

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…