Picture distortion on Sony DRU-510A DVD read/write

Shappy 12:32 12 Oct 03

I recently purchase a Sony DRU-510A DVD read/writer (multi-format), to replace the DVD reader in my machine previously, so all settings, including jumper remained the same.

Running the drive on an AMD XP1800+ processor, XP Home, 512Mb RAM.

My PC recognises the drive and can even open up text and html files on the software DVD which came with the drive but I have two problems.

Playing DVDs, using Power DVD version 5, gives picture distortion (picture stops for a few seconds and squares of distorted picture), and the exe install file on the DVD won't run.

I am concluding that there's nothing wrong with the physical install, as the drive can be seen and files even opened from a DVD, but some setting somewhere is not quite right.

I've trawled all the Sony web-sites for help and, as a last resort mailed their technical support, but any ideas what might be causing picture distortion ??

vinnyT 14:27 12 Oct 03

I would try uninstalling your Powerdvd software, reboot, then uninstall the dvd drive from device manager (or whatever it is in xp), reboot. When your comp restarts it will find the *new* hardware and reinstall the drivers for it, reboot. Now install Powerdvd again and hopefully it will work fine.

Shappy 07:55 13 Oct 03

Thanks for suggestion vinnyT - tried all that and no improvement

Any other ideas ? I guess the new DVD may be faulty, so I'll see what Sony say as well. Just wondered if there was any test software around to identify problem.

vinnyT 15:51 13 Oct 03

Sorry only pop in now and again.

Is the dvd drive on a diff cable to your hdrive (both main and/or 2nd, ie hdrive on ide1, dvd on ide2). If it's not can you change it so the dvd is on a cable on its' own. I know that's fairly obvious, but sometimes the obviuos is overlooked.

This site may be able to help, it's called DVDAnswers

click here

never having used it (don't have a dvd drive, still in stone age) I cannot say how good it is, but worth looking at anyway. They have forums(?) for both hardware and software.

Hope this is of some help.

pepe 15:54 13 Oct 03

Go to the Sony support site. There is a free utility to down load and test the drive, also firmware updates are available there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced