pic resolution goes to 800x600 and cant be adjuste

johnnyrocker 20:16 20 Feb 07

friend of mine has had this problem for a while, sometimes when she boots up pic size is as above and cannot be reset and is only resolved by system restore this has happened with two pc's and two diff monitors and i dont seem to be able to work out a starting point as in theory i don believe it should happen with two different machines ( both xp home )

cheers

phono 20:20 20 Feb 07

Any more information on the PCs concerned? Do they come from the same manufacturer or have the same combination of motherboard and/or graphics card ?

Are the latest motherboard chipset drivers and graphics card drivers installed?

Totally-braindead 20:23 20 Feb 07

The only 2 possabilities that I can think of is that either the monitor is set as the wrong one for the display or the drivers for the graphics are either not installed or not installed properly.
What I would do is check what the monitor is and change the driver if necessary and download and reinstall the correct video drivers.

Totally-braindead 20:24 20 Feb 07

Forgot as phono has said check the motherboard drivers have been installed as well.

johnnyrocker 20:25 20 Feb 07

the new machine is an nec the old one is a packard bell graphics m/board details to follow

johnny.

johnnyrocker 20:28 20 Feb 07

the old machine had been in use for a couple of years with no issues and is oddd that two machines develop the same issue

johnny

phono 20:30 20 Feb 07

Could there be a particular piece of software installed on both machines which may be causing this problem?

Totally-braindead 20:31 20 Feb 07

Unless they have installed a particular program on both these PCs that could cause this it must be a coincidence. I haven't heard of any virus or malware that can do anything like this.
I would reinstall the drivers and see what that does.

Totally-braindead 20:31 20 Feb 07

phono - we think alike.

phono 20:31 20 Feb 07

Sorry, that should have been "recently installed on both machines".

phono 20:34 20 Feb 07

Both of us coming up with the same idea at the same time, is this problem catching? ;^)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…