Physically Installing a second hard drive

Sapins 18:26 09 Jan 03
  Sapins 18:26 09 Jan 03

Is there only one way up to install a hard drive?
I ask because the IDE cable is now very taught and twisted having installed a second hard drive. If I could turn both drives over the cable would not be taught. I have installed the second drive to correspond with the original drive, i.e. the power cable and IDE cables are on the same side.I hope I have made this clear! The installation, using Seagates "DiscWizard" was extremely easy and I'm a beginner!!!

Nappy1610 18:30 09 Jan 03

You can install it upside down but it may not function properly the best idea would be to purchase a longer IDE cable.

Matt

clayton 18:52 09 Jan 03

Have you set the jumpers on the new drive to slave ?

BrianW 21:00 09 Jan 03

nip into your local store and get a round IDE cable, better airflow and they dont suffer so much from the problem you describe. Costs about £12.00 from memory

PurplePenny 22:35 09 Jan 03

BrianW is right. Round cables are much better. Try Overclockers click here

PurplePenny

TECHNODIMWIT 23:55 09 Jan 03

there are 2 ways to install a hard drive.

horizontal with the circuit board facing down,
and vertical with the connections upwards.

i`ve never seen a hard drive installed in any other position.
hope it helps

mark

Sapins 08:55 10 Jan 03

Nappy1610, clayton, BrianW, PurplePenny, TECHNODIMWIT,
Hi Folks, thanks for your replies. Yes the drive is set to slave, i.e. no jumper. I did not realise you could get a round cable, that seems the best solution. I have just read the full instructions from the Seagate "DiscWizard" and they say you can mount the drive in any orientation but it is usually mounted with the circuit board down! I think I'll go for the round cable if I can find one here, if not I'll buy a longer one. Many thanks for your help it is much appreciated.
Regards
Sapins

Sapins 08:57 10 Jan 03

"here" is South West France and -7c today but no snow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…