physical computer sucurity?

puzzle 12:01 13 Feb 03

could someone tell me the best method of sucuring your system against housebreakers.

Sir Radfordin™ 12:05 13 Feb 03

Desktop or Laptop?

If a laptop then check you have a Kensington slot then buy a Kensington slot.

Otherwise you can buy locks that glue to the base/monitor that will lock it to a desk. Various alarms can be bought that go in a PCI slot and can dial home/spray ink everywhere.

You can even go as far as to buy a cage to lock it up into that is bolted to the floor.

Depends on how you view the risk!

puzzle 12:15 13 Feb 03

its a desktop. i want to secure the base unit and the monitor. all of a sudden the risk in my area has increased.
thanks.

Belatucadrus 12:37 13 Feb 03

click here for a range of computer security products, or you can also install tracking software like click here. Fine as long as the nicked hardware gets connected to a phone line at some point.

Sir Radfordin™ 12:48 13 Feb 03

Make sure you are backing stuff up and taking it OFF SITE. There is as much chance of the house being burnt down as there is of it being 'borrowed'!

Remember you are more likely to annoy a theif if they can't take anything so the damage to the property is worse. Make sure your insurance covers the PC - may be worth checking to see if they have any recommendations.

puzzle 13:11 13 Feb 03

good advice, thanks for the links. will follow up. any further comments welcome.
puzzle.

puzzle 13:16 13 Feb 03

has anybody any experience of these tracking programs that alert yourself and the police of stolen comps being connected up again.
thanks

Sir Radfordin™ 13:20 13 Feb 03
  puzzle 13:29 13 Feb 03

after reviewing the tracing software i have decided that brute force is the only answer. anybody with any expertize in chains and bolting things to the wall
cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…