PHP, CGI, how can I best use it?

barryoneoff.co.uk 01:34 31 Dec 03

I have upgraded my website package, simply to get more bandwidth.

But...also included, apart from the standard CGI (guestbook, hit counter,...etc.) is the PHP3,4, Perl options for my own CGI scripting. It's all above my head. Can I make use of it?

Cheers, Whiz...

Forum Editor 03:17 31 Dec 03

you want to run custom scripts on the server. When you have your script ready to upload you must modify it to include the path to Perl on your host's server - almost always: /usr/bin/perl

You'll find that there are hundreds of readymade scripts available for all kinds of purposes, it's just a question of finding the one you want. Most good web hosts have already got the most commonly used scripts in the bin, so check before you go looking for a custom script.

If you
click here you'll get an idea of some of the goodies that are available out there. Just remember that scripts require certain pemissions to be set on directories/files before they can run properly, and if you haven't done so already it will help to acquaint yourself with the CHMOD commands in your FTP program.

barryoneoff.co.uk 11:05 31 Dec 03

Will look into it.

While I'm here, I would just like to add something about my host, 1&1. I only upgraded to get the extra bandwidth, but I have also received this morning, the updated software - NOF 7, and PhotoImpact 8. But the good thing is, that you get printed manuals with them. How bad is that?

Taran 12:51 31 Dec 03

The inclusion of the software and, as you mention, their manuals is an important consideration.

A close friend who has a very low income recently wanted to experiment with web design after we had talked about it enough to get her ineterested.

Rather than go the hard way and hand code everything or use a middle ground code editor like Arachnophilia or HTML Kit, she wanted a WYSIWYG program and I felt it was certainly the easiest solution for a newcomer to learn on.

So I paid for a hosting account with 1&1 for a domain of mine that has been doing nothing this past few months, but I put the hosted account in her name and I've transferred the .co.uk address in question into her name as well. So now she has her own site address, a full year of hosting to play with and some shiny new software with those ever so useful manuals and she is really getting into the whole thing. The manuals are a godsend to her. She lives in quite a rural area and I'm about the only one who visits who can help her along, but with the aid of the manuals and some time to play she's come on leaps and bounds.

It's a big argument in favour of 1&1 if you are starting out or would like some good software to get up and running.

I've no idea how they manage to do it, but as long as they do I'm not arguing...

T

barryoneoff.co.uk 13:38 31 Dec 03

to get the updated software. Originally I got NOF MX, and Micrografix 10 with my package. Now, I have even more software to play with.

Forum Editor 13:43 31 Dec 03

myself. I've taken a business package that I'll be using for designing/trialling clients' sites, so we'll see how we go.

I must say that my initial impression has been very favourable. The domain name registration and hosting sign up procedures are the smoothest I've ever experienced, and define the meaning of the term 'online transaction'. Five minutes from start to finish, and subsequently a quick call to one and one (to test their phone response) was answered rapidly, courteously, and with efficiency. All I have to do now is get in enough business to fill a Gigabyte of server space.

Taran 14:29 31 Dec 03

I have been very impressed with the service I have had to date from 1&1. I only have 6 standalone accounts with them and some were inherited and not deliberately set up by me, but so far they have all been plain sailing.

It is for newcomers though, that I am most impressed with them. I cannot think of any other way of getting some very good software; an excellent WYSIWYG web editor, FTP programs, the superb Ulead PhotoImpact image editor and so on (all you'd ever need for web design in fact) as well as your domain and hosted account for such a reasonable outlay.

I have both Windows and Linux standalone accounts and so far, I have had no trouble setting up and running all of my own scripts. Drop dead easy and straightforward. I still think that their domain control panel is not as intuitive as it could be for newcomers, but to anyone who has had one or more sites in the past it is simple enough to find your way around.

Thumbs up from me, and yes, no problems running either CGI or PHP scripts.

barryoneoff.co.uk 03:22 01 Jan 04

I have been with them for just over a year, and they are without a doubt, the best.

AND.....to keep FE happy, so is PCA (the whizwrinkly has had quite a few jars tonight)!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…