PHP?

Sheila-214876 15:06 31 Jan 04

Sorry if I am a bit thick but what is PHP?

PurplePenny 16:55 31 Jan 04

It's a server-side scripting language that does things like retrieving information from a database and inserting it into a web page.

Penny

Sheila-214876 17:10 31 Jan 04

Thank you Penny. But what does PHP actually stand for, and do I need it? I have a website at click here which I maintain for the domain owner, so do I need PHP?

Forum Editor 18:21 31 Jan 04

"Personal Home Page", and was the brainchild of one Rasmus Lerdorf (Yes, honestly, that was his name)who devised it to track hits on his CV. The technical description of PHP is that it's a Hypertext PreProcessor - so it should really be called HPP I suppose. What's in a name anyway? The important thing to know is that PHP is very widely used as an alternative scripting language to Perl (Practical Extraction and Reporting Language, before you ask).

PHP is much better suited to the Web than Perl (which was actually in use before the arrival of the Internet),and takes less "overhead," meaning that scripts will run faster and the server will be able to handle more simultaneous users on your site. PHP is built from the ground-up with database functionality built in, particularly MySQL functionality. Perl is not.

PHP is secure. Perl scripts tend to have more security holes.

Do you need PHP on your site? I wouldn't have thought so, unless you intend to build dynamic pages, or you want to have password control, or take online bookings.........Aha! I see that last one got your interest. If I'm right, take a look at this for starters:

click here

and then this:

click here

Good luck, come back here for more help/advice.

Sheila-214876 10:57 01 Feb 04

Thank you FE, that's sorted me out. No, my friend in France has no immediate thoughts on taking online bookings. He doesn't have "plastic" facilities. He is quite happy to take bookings by email and snail mail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…