Photoshop question - Feathering a .gif

gplatt2000 18:05 19 Feb 04

Hi there! First off Im not sure if I should even be posting this here, it says 'PC Questions', so im not aure.

Anyway, I'm using Photoshop 6.0 to make a .gif image , which is all black with a rectangualar whole cut out of it. Now i want there to be a smoot transition so have featehred the selection before removing from the black, And it looks fine (note: I have transparent bacgound as another image must show throught this gap).

But when I come to save the file, suddenly the feathering disappears and tyere is no smooth transition - just jagged black - transparent.

Does anyone know why this could be? Something I need to choose from the options when saving?

thanks a lot in advance

Diodorus Siculus 18:34 19 Feb 04

I "think" it is to do with the nature of gif files - I could always feather jpegs ok, but gifs I gave up on.

Can you perhaps create the image as jpeg, feather it as you want, and then save as a gif? It might be a workaround for you.

Pesala 18:37 19 Feb 04

That supports 24-bit colour and transparency.

gplatt2000 18:52 19 Feb 04

thanks a lot for the quick response. Ive tried your suggestion, but unfotrunately still no luck :(

So it would seem 'gifs dont let you do things like smooth gradients )because Ive also tried doing this a different way - deleting an area then making a gradient by going around it with the airbrus - but the same problem happenned)

Any other ideas?

gplatt2000 18:53 19 Feb 04

Ooops sorr didnt refresh before writing response so didnt see your answer Pesala. Thanks a lot, Ill give it a go.....

gplatt2000 19:06 19 Feb 04

Thanks a LOAD for that Pesala, much appreciated, Ive been getting v stressed over this for a while now!

So yes thanks again

david4637 17:00 20 Feb 04

Gifs are saved with a minimum number of colours and because feathering is made up of very many colours you can not save it in that format. Regards David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…