Photoshop endless search

thamesside 11:11 07 Jul 09

I moved pictures (in Vista) to disc d. Photoshop went into an endles search and would not respond to any command. I closed the program with task manager. I moved pictures back. Same problem. I uninstalled the program and reinstalled assuming I could start with a clean sheet and point the program to the folder with my pictures. Still I get an endless search and an unresponding program.

David4637 14:08 07 Jul 09

Can you open a picture file (jpg) on your hard drive with PS? David

thamesside 14:50 07 Jul 09

I cannot do anything. There is a note at the bottom of the page saying "searching". The little circle goes round and round and the program will not respond to any commands.

thamesside 14:54 07 Jul 09

But if I go to a picture in the pictures folder and open it in PS it opens Ok in the editor.

thamesside 16:29 07 Jul 09

I guess when I uninstalled the program there must have been some index files created by the program still hanging around somewhere. I noticed that the program after re-installation picked up my collections. If I can find these files I may be able to make a completely clean reinstallation.

David4637 19:50 07 Jul 09

Although I am not sure whats causing your prob, folk really need to know what version of PS you are running - as a matter of interest I use V 7 which does about 80% of CS4, which is adequate for enhancing images from my camera, which I find is a BRILLIANT bit of S/W costing £60 - £70.
David

thamesside 07:45 08 Jul 09

I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0

ened 08:14 08 Jul 09

I have Elements vi and there are bugs even in that.

Very often I download a batch of RAW files and the Organiser won't display them without a lot of mucking about.

What I suggest you do is select all your 'missing' pictures and right-click one of them.

Select 'Remove from Catalogue'. In the next box ensure 'Also delete from Hard Disk' is not ticked and click OK.

Now click File - Get Photos..etc - From Files/Folders and put them back in.

PS You will find the Adobe Forums are very useful.

click here

thamesside 11:07 08 Jul 09

Thanks ened but the problem is that I can't select anything. As soon as I start up Organiser it starts a search ( looking for all the pictures it knows I've got and can't find) and it is impossible to stop the search or select anything - the program will not accept any commands while it does this search. Now there are several thousand pictures and if it searches the whole computer for each one, one at a time, this could take weeks! That is why I thought a clean re-installation of the program should solve it, but it hasn't.
Thanks for the link to the Adobe Forums I'll have a go at them.

ened 11:27 08 Jul 09

Why don't you try

A System Restore?

If that doesn't work:

1: Uninstall Elements.

2: Put the pictures back.

3: Do a System Restore to before you moved the pictures

4: Reinstall elements (If necessary).

thamesside 17:53 08 Jul 09

Thanks.
Tried all that. I still have the problem!!!
Also tried recovering My Pictures from a recent backup.
Put a message on Adobe Forum - no response.
Put a message on Adobe Support - no response.
I'm stuck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…