photoshop elements & jpeg

highside 20:28 28 Apr 07

Help please, I shoot RAW files (NEF Nikon)using elements to save them in My Documents where they can be viewed using Windows RAW viewer or edited in elements. If I want to save a picture (using elements) as a jpeg, the only 'Save As' option is windows 2000 jpg but this produces a file called jpf which in My Docs, My pictures, shows up only as an icon with no preview being availble (unless the jpf is opened in elements.) Is there a way of converting to a conventional JPG Not JPF?
Hope someone out there can see what Im trying to say. Maybe I will have to invest in Nikon Capture.
Thanks for looking.

MAJ 22:01 28 Apr 07

"Be sure that you don't open the raw files in 16-bit mode. Jpeg supports only 8-bit color depth, so you can't save 16-bit images as Jpegs." click here

highside 22:14 28 Apr 07

MAJ, excellent, spot on, many thanks, I changed to 16 bit a while back and never thought about it.

highside 13:52 06 Jun 07

Got some problems, can you please remind me how exactly to check if 8 bit or 16 bit colour depth is set. Until yesterday I was able to view my Nikon NEF pics in "MY DOCS" "MY PICTURES" and open them with microsoft raw image viewer. But now they only appear as icons and not preview pictures. Dont know of anything thats changed.
Thanks for looking.

exdragon 17:09 06 Jun 07

Not sure where it is in Elements as I don't use it, but in PS CS2, it's (from the main top menu) Image, then Mode. It's along with Greyscale and RGB colour amongst other things - hope that gives you a clue!

highside 19:06 06 Jun 07

Thanks for replying exdragon, followed you - but found that in Image - Mode "8 bits" and "colour channel" are not available ie they are greyed out.
The other items in the Mode menu are available and RGB is ticked. Any more thoughts please?

highside 14:51 07 Jun 07

In MY DOCS - MY PICTURES I can usually see my NIKON NEF RAW files AS THUMBNAILS and open them in Microsoft Raw Image Viewer. Something has changed because suddenly the images show as only Tiles and not as thumbnail pictures. I can still open them with Raw Image Viewer, just cant see what the image is before opening it.
I use elements 4 to process RAW and have 8 bit colour depth set.
Obliged for any help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…