Photoshop elements 2

Ivor_Monkey 18:33 08 May 04

This piece of software seems to do all sorts of tricks -compicated and easy. I'm an ocassional user, but I'm stumped trying to do a fairly simple task.

I would like to use photoshop elements 2 to paste (say) 3 different images onto one sheet of photographic paper? Arranging as I wish. The options within PS elements -2 Photomerge, contact sheets and photopackage - don't seem to allow me to do what I'm after. I'm sure such a basic task must be hidden somewhere. But where? In earlier software packages I would export an image and paste into a word docment for positioning, but I would prefer to do it all within photoelements.

Any advice, please?

oseven 19:00 08 May 04

Go to File/Open /New.Create a blank sheet the same size as the paper you are going to print on and drag your pictures on to the blank.Resize them as you drop and just print.

hssutton 20:08 08 May 04

Adobe do not have a dedicated tool for this purpose. You need to do as oseven says. This will create seperate layers, you can move and resize at will after dragging them onto your new blank canvas. Just remember to "flatten" the layers when you have done the resizing & positioning.

Tony Spear 13:41 09 May 04

Decide waht size you want each image to be, then rezize then Image < resize>resize image. Make sure you have the resample image box clicked and then set the resolution to the same level for all the images otherwise they won't come out correctly on your composite image.

Open a new file at whatever size you want and set the resolution to the same as your original images.

The on each image do select all>copy, click on the new file and paste. Click on the move tool and postion your image. Repeat for each image but remember that each one will be on a separate layer so at the end you need to go to layer>flatten image and then save and print.

Ivor_Monkey 13:42 09 May 04

Thanks for your advice but I'm clearly doing something wrong, coz this doesn;t work for me. Sorry to be so dense, but file/open doesn't give me a "new" option. It simply leads me to directories, presumably inviting me to open another photo image. On the other hand, the task bar offers me an icon that seems to be the blank sheet. What I get is a blank image which is titled "untitled @12.5% RGB", but doesn't seem to allow me to paste/drag anything onto it. The images just slide over or behind the blank image. The small size of the blank (12.5%) is also a problem. But first things first. So, any further help would be great.
Thanks

Ivor_Monkey 13:44 09 May 04

Tony
Thanks. Just to say I posted my last comment before reading yours, so will ponder it some more.

Ivor_Monkey 13:47 09 May 04

Does the format of the image make any difference? I've noticed that these images are in jpg. Presumably the should be PDD?

Ivor_Monkey 13:57 09 May 04

Thanks everyone. With your help, I can now copy, paste and move. Little beginnings!
Thanks again.

Tony Spear 15:48 09 May 04

Does this mean that you are now able to do what you originally set out to do?

About files - this depends on the image source. If they're from a digicam they're almost certain to be jpegs. On the otherhand if they're from a scanner it will depend on what the output of the scanner is, but they're most likely to be PSD files.

A hint: regardless of normal computer practice, if you're working on jpegs don't keep saving your files as you go along 'cos everytime you save a jpeg you lose some quality even at maximum quality. Try to get the completed image at one go, save it at whatever compression you want (depends on how much storage you've got and what you want to do with it), save it as a jpeg and don't mess with it again.

If I'm working on jpegs, I tend to make a backup copy at maximum quality in case I have to save the unfinished image for some reason and then I can go back to the original file and start again if neccessary.

If you're working on TIFF or PSD files, do all your work in the original files then save them as jpegs when you've finished.

Ivor_Monkey 21:49 10 May 04

Tony
Yes, I can do what I want. I was using copy instead of select and I wasn't setting the canvas size on the blank sheet properly. I also didn't understadn layers properly. Apart from that....

Thanks for the tip on savings files. I hadn't appeciated that repeated savings reduced quality.

I guess if the camer produces images in jpeg, then that is the highest quality format for that image. Any conversion from jpeg will reduce quality.
Thanks again.

hssutton 22:04 10 May 04

Not quite correct, converting to a tiff will not reduce quality, it will maintain it, whereas working on a jpeg and then saving will decrease quality.
Never work on the original image, this is the equivilent of a negative so make a copy. I always save the original, then convert the copy to tiff to work on, and always save as a tiff.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…