Photoshop Elem 4 catalog error, Any real solution?

GloriaM 08:45 12 Aug 09

Photoshop Elements 4 installed on XP has the following problem:
When try to create catalog an error message appear -’My Catalog.psa can not be found.Open or create new.’
When click on OK another message says that No catalog is found in current directory’
Then I click on OK to create a new one, a new catalog window appears set to create catalog in folder ‘odbc’ inside Elements 4, in Shared assets.
I entered a name for new catalog but another message says that ‘the catalog can not be created because disk may be full, write protected or otherwise inoperable’
At this point I can’t do anything and must close Photoshop Elements.
The other features of the program like opening and editing of pictures work ok.

The disk that program says ‘may be full, write protected etc’ is disk C and Photoshop Elements 4 is installed inside it in folder Programs folder .
I have full access to computer and other programs installed never give me any trouble of this sort.
Plenty of space on the C disk, and it is not write protected.

My original disk is badly damaged and useless for clean re - install of Elements 4 .

Is there any way to fix Photoshop Elements so I can use its catalog function again ?

Additional info - I’ve done some disks clean up and am afraid this mysterious ‘My Catalog.psa ‘
may be deleted by accident.

I was thinking to create a new folder and name it ‘My Catalog.psa ‘ as replacement for this mysterious ‘My Catalog.psa ‘ that Elements asks for
but don‘t want to mess with the program
and anyway I don’t know exactly where it must be located …
Also, I don’t know exact locations where components of the program are installed (my knowledge of complex inner workings of PC are limited, sorry for that).

Can anyone , please, guide me in plain English how to fix Elements 4 and make it create catalogs?

So far as an answer to this topic all I've got is some salesmen's pitch to go and buy new software...

I don't want to go shopping but to learn something from this experience, eg about how the computer and program work.
So, if there is some competent computer person in this website with intelligent answer, please do suggest a solution!

Thank you in advance!

PalaeoBill 09:00 12 Aug 09

There are a couple of TechNotes that may help.

click here
click here

They relate to Photoshop Album and earlier versions at that, but they do give instructions for re-creating the My Catalog.psa

Hope it helps

GloriaM 08:35 26 Aug 09

Thanks PalaeoBill for the tip!
I've learned from it!
All the best to you!
Gloria

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5