Photoshop alternative

ArrGee 23:25 10 Feb 07

Anybody out there that has tried an alternative to Photoshop that is set out in 'laymans' terms, either cheap or (ideally) free? (This is for an 8 year old nephew getting to grips with his new camera).

Totally-braindead 23:40 10 Feb 07

The two programs I use all the time and that are free are Googles Picassa 2 and a program called Faststone Image viewer. They naturally are not as good as photoshop but to be honest with you they both do all I want without all the bells and whistles you get with Photoshop.
click here
click here

Clint2 00:30 11 Feb 07

The Gimp is reckoned to be a free alternative to Photoshop click here

Lio 01:19 11 Feb 07

Photoshop Elements, whilst not free, has a lot of the funtionality of Photoshop.

MIke 08:11 11 Feb 07

Photofiltre is good similar to Photoshop Elements and is free click here

Ther is also a paid for version which is more sophisticated called Photofiltre studio at photofiltre.com

ArrGee 09:35 11 Feb 07

Thanks all, I'll have a look into these.

eedcam 09:36 11 Feb 07

You should be able to pick up elements 3or4 cheaply now 5 is out.It wcould be well worth while as at 8 year old if he gets really interested he would then progress to Photoshop proper. Have a look on ebay I have Photoshop but picked up legitimate elements 5 for £20.
I have elements2 surplus to requirements which you are welcome to for free email me I'll pop it in the post

ArrGee 10:07 11 Feb 07

Many thanks eedcam. I'll have a quick look at the other suggestions first and may well take you up on your kind offer. Cheer matey.

vinnyT 11:16 11 Feb 07

or, this months very own PCAdvisor cover disk (issue 141) has Serif Photoplus 8, you have to register with serif, but this is free.

ArrGee 11:17 11 Feb 07

Cheers vinnyT, I have the cover disc in hand and will give it a go.

Ptolemy 11:38 11 Feb 07

For my reference

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…