Photoshop 6 - cut out shapes, help please

Carafaraday 11:11 03 Sep 04

I'm sure this is very easy if you know how, but I can't work out how to do it! I want to use one of the 'custom shape tools' to cut out a bit of a photograph. I want to position the star shape over part of the photo, and retain the bit inside the star only.

I have a book entitled Photoshop 6 made Simple - not simple enough for me obviously.

ventanas 11:40 03 Sep 04

In other words delete the background. Does this help? click here

Carafaraday 12:19 03 Sep 04

Thanks for that - I've printed out the link but to be honest it's really far to complicated for me - I'm a total beginner with Photoshop. Is there an easier way to get the same result?

iambeavis 14:53 03 Sep 04

The easiest way to do what you are asking is to take the airbrush tool and draw the shape you require on the selected part of the image then,using the eraser tool, erase everything outside the shape. When you've done that just save as. Before you do anything you should right click on the title bar of the original image and create a duplicate and work on that - this preserves your original just in case you mess up.

Carafaraday 15:10 03 Sep 04

Thanks, I'll try that but I was really hoping to use one of the custom shape tools, as my drawing skills (particularly with a mouse) are severely limited.

iambeavis 15:57 03 Sep 04

When you say 'custom shape tool' do you mean the pen tool or the lasso - I've never actually used a 'custom shape tool'before so I've gone into Photoshop to try it and the only way I could achieve what you require was by using layers and masks. I'm sure there must be someone on this forum who has used this tool who will be able to point you in the right direction.

ventanas 16:10 03 Sep 04

I only have Photoshop at home, so am unable to try it now. The problem is that the preset shapes are vectors, and behave differently to raster layers.

Using layers and masks is similar to a clipping path, but you could probably draw a star with the freehand selection tool using a series of straight lines, invert the selection and hit the del key.

I do have Paint Shop Pro here. Took about ten seconds to do it.

oseven 16:30 03 Sep 04

Go to the adobe website where the tutorials are fantastic and many other useful ideas are supplied by other Photoshoppers.
You can do what you are trying to do but the Adobe site is the best place for a detailled answer.

iambeavis 16:53 03 Sep 04

Thanks for that bit of knowledge - it's gone in the notebook. The problem is that carafaraday wishes to use the star and it's a solid fill so it masks eveything, that's why I had to use layers to make it work with the star. Is there a way of doing it so that the body of the star is transparent?

ventanas 17:01 03 Sep 04

I see what you mean. PSP actually draws the shapes transparent, as will using the freehand lasso tool, and this will keep the layer fully raster. I can't really say any more for the moment. If I get time I will "play" with Photoshop tonight, and post back.

Carafaraday 17:07 03 Sep 04

Thank you both for your replies. I think I am going to have to accept that Photoshop is too advanced for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…