photos turned to .dat files

Can anybody help?
I recently put some digital photos on the computer and then saved them to disc only to find that now I can't open them, somehow,I must have saved them with the wrong format and they appear as .dat files. Is there any way I can get them back or have I just created a coaster.

Valvegrid 17:50 22 Jul 04

Have you tried renaming the extension to what they were previously, like jpg?

Hi Valvegrid
I tried that,but it says that it was unable to to open them because an unknown or ivalid jpeg marker type was found.

I guess I should have said that I used Nero to burn them on to cd and that I should have created a data disk but I used picture/video instead. Will this be the answer?

Valvegrid 18:59 22 Jul 04

I'm not sure if this will work, but I suppose its worth trying this program. I think if you rename the files to what they should be and see if this will recover them:

click here

Thanks Valvegrid. I'll give all this a try.

britto 19:35 22 Jul 04

try puting the disc in a standalone dvd player you may have made a vcd. also try the dvd player on your computer open power dvd and see if you can scroll through them if so use the capture button to copy them, paste into picture editing software and save as jpg these files will small but ok for web.When making vcd's with nero tick the Store Source Pictures option this puts a set of pics in their original format on the disc

jack 19:37 22 Jul 04

The pix burned on CDR are dead as for as using Them for pictorial purposes I would imagine.

Do you not still have them on the PC?
If so do another burn if the disk is still 'open' and you have room
Or make a new disk.

I do have in the back of my mind software that sorts file extenders and allocates the right ones, but even this if I can discover it would not save a burned image.

Did you know that if you have files on an 'open'
[burnsomemore] CD you can 'delete them'
you do not actually regain space once burned on a CD-r it stays burned, but will make use of a partburned disk for other purposes and keeps it 'tidy'

david4637 15:48 23 Jul 04

You have created VCD files probably with Nero. It converts your jpgs to *.dat files so they can be burned to a CD which will run on a DVD player so you can see your images on a TV. I have used this process to make VCDs. You can by clicking on a menu option to ALSO save the jpgs in question to a folder on the VCD so it can act as a backup function as well. Regards David

Thanks everyone for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…