photo's too dark when printing

sharon244 16:49 13 Aug 07

could anyone give me some advice please. i've just bought a hp photosmart c3180 and when i print off any photo's they are too dark. i've tried editing them before printing but this dosn't make any difference. can someone please tell me where i'm going wrong.

Diemmess 16:54 13 Aug 07

Compared with another printer? or previous experience?

Or is this when you scan a print then try to print with your new HP?

Also it may have a bearing if the whole scene looks underlit. Are any whites really white?

sharon244 17:06 13 Aug 07

this is the first photo quality printer i've owned so i have nothing to compare this one to but my photo's appear darker than the original both when scanning and printing photo's off the digital camera and faces apppear really flushed.

Diemmess 17:41 13 Aug 07

Thanks, that points to a need to tweak the printer
setup.

I don't know the printer, but I'll bet there is a CD included which will describe how to do this and maybe even have a program to install and do it for you.

You may not have needed to do much to let your Computer install the printer itself, and you may be able to just slip a memory card into the printer and off you go.

But,
somewhere there will be buttons, or instructions on the computer screen to allow you to set paper size and orientation, as well as paper quality.

A supplied CD will usually tell you what to do and often tell you how to make the best of the image.
Many Camera makers do the same thing having a display and simple editing program to install and use.

Have a good look at the "bits in the box" and see what you can find to install.
Do come back again if you are still stuck.
By that time someone else may have more knowledge of your printer and have a proper answer for you.

jack 17:43 13 Aug 07

It is a good rule that images will need adjustment in a photo editor before printing depending where the images are taken whites and flesh tones can come up the pronounced differences because this is what we look for.
People in artificial light for example will come up more red.
This is a very complex subject -
As a rule images are affected with the quality of surrounding light - furnishings , even the clothes they are wearing throwing unwanted shades and shadows.
Put the images through a good image editor and take your time learning how to use it.
When printing reduce the ink flow- by-
Changing the paper setting from Photo-Gloss[say] to Transparency
or downloading Ink-saver and reduce the ink onto paper that way.
and practice, loads of practice.
Very seldom do images come out just by hitting the button
Life just ain't that simple.

woodchip 17:50 13 Aug 07

Look in Printer Properties before you click print, you should be able to brighten them

woodchip 17:50 13 Aug 07

PS most likely be under Custom settings

Totally-braindead 19:55 13 Aug 07

I agree with the others but I use Epson, they have digital camera correction as an option which can make a difference.

I have to point out as well that even something as simple as having the wrong type of paper selected can make a huge difference. If the printer puts too much ink on the paper (because you have the wrong paper selected) then the picture may well appear dark. I use the Photogloss paper made by Rex that I get from my local ALDI and its rather good.

Choice Stationery do a sample pack of different sorts of paper for a fiver if you've never bothered with anything other than standard paper. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5