Photos - ppd files

Greengage 15:35 29 Mar 07

I am running XP Home and have various photo programs installed including Photoplus 8, Ulead, Picassa & MS Picture It Express. I have been e-mailed a few photos by way of attachments from an aquaintance but I cannot get these to open as they have ppd file extensions. My search on Google does not enlighten me much, other than to make me think that he is running Linux - I did hear he had recently acquired a new PC. I believe also that he uses Adobe Photo and/or Pinnacle - he is appently a good photographer but not that great at computers. I have asked him if he could export the photos from his program as Jpegs but he is getting lost. Is there anyway I can open these ppd files on my PC?

VoG II 15:40 29 Mar 07

I think he needs to send them in a different format - see click here

Greengage 15:59 29 Mar 07

Thanks VoG™. I do not profess to understand the information on the link but I think the resolution is along the lines that we were both thinking.

pj123 17:27 29 Mar 07

.ppd files are Adobe Postscript Printer Description files which are normally used by businesses who send files to commercial printers for making up advertising leaflets etc.

I normally send my ads to magazines/papers etc as a jpg file, and let them sort it out.

I do have Photoshop 7 on my PC and if you would like to send me one of the .ppd files I will see if I can open it for you and then re-save it as a common graphic file that you could see.

email me via the envelope it you want to try it.

Greengage 19:06 29 Mar 07

That is more than kind of you pj123. I will take you up on your offer if that is OK - I will attach the file that I received and I believe it contains more than one photo but I cannot open it to find out. Since I tried to "Open With" it has got the Picassa icon attached but it may arrive with you in different form.

pj123 17:00 30 Mar 07

I have received your .ppd file.

Not as easy as I thought. I have tried Adobe Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro but no luck.

I have just now tried Adobe PageMaker, which supposedly can make a .ppd file but, unfortunately, can't actually open one already made.

Technically, I suppose, the file is only a printer description for a commercial printer to be able to print from.

A possible solution is to ring around some commercial printers and ask them if they would be willing to do a print from the file. Or, alternatively, ask them what program they use to read .ppd files.

Obviously, the easiest and best way is to get the person who sent them in the first place to send them again as .jpg attachments.

I am very sorry that I can't help any further.

Greengage 18:52 30 Mar 07

Many thanks pj123 for all your efforts. They have been very much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…