Photos to DVD

joe95 12:29 05 Feb 04

Could anyone please explain(big hammer needed) what I need to transfer photos to a disc to be viewed on a DVD player.
Thanks joe

stlucia 13:07 05 Feb 04

First you need a suitable scanner -- either a dedicated slide scanner or a flatbed scanner with a slide/negative adapter (I use an Epson 1240U). That will get your photos into your PC.

Then you need a DVD burner with software that will allow you to "create a slideshow" (I use a Sony DRU-500A which came with Sonic MyDVD software). That will create a DVD which can be viewed on your domestic player.

pinnicat 13:35 05 Feb 04

presuming you are trying to load normal photo prints, then yes you will need a scanner...mine cost me £40..(umax) from argos and has never let me down.
if of course, you are talking about digital images already on your hard-drive, then give this a whirl.click here
great fun ...
this is of course hardware dependant, meaning your dvd must be able to play vdvd..as most these days can.
good luck have fun.
mik

joe95 13:41 05 Feb 04

I have a load on cds as Tiffs can I use these?
Pinnicat the link is not working expired.

joe95 13:44 05 Feb 04

Pinnicat
link okay only have dial-up

pinnicat 13:53 05 Feb 04

i see....its a big file n'all...gonna take a while to down on dal-up
theres a previous discusion on here , from where i got started on this issue.
in your topic search.
type.."decent software to make photo cds as dvd"
this should enlighten a little til the big boys start showing us all how its done...all the best
mik

stlucia 13:59 05 Feb 04

You'll almost certainly be able to use tiffs which you already have on your PC -- in theory it depends on what slideshow software you're using, but I'm sure they will all recognise tiffs.

PA28 14:09 05 Feb 04

Once you have scanned in your photos as described above, you will need either a DVD or CD writer to put them onto disk. For a basic results, if you're lucky that's all you may need to do as some DVD players will pay a DVD slideshow from .jpg images on either a Video CD (VCD), SupervideoCD (SVCD) or DVD. My Toshiba 330 has this facility, for example.

For a more polished result (or if your DVD player doesn't have this facility), then use a program to compile and edit your slides - I use Pinnacle Studio 8 - to compile a complete show complete with varying lengths of display of image, fades, dissolves and music. There is plenty of choice of suitable software, but be prepared to spend a bit of time on the project to get good results. It's easy to do but time consuming and you will need a fairly powerful computer at the final stages of rendering unless you have a lot of time to spare!

A DVD writer may not be essential (although it's desirable) as may DVD players will happily play a slide show written on VCD or SVCD (both are on standard CD-Rs) on a simple CD writer. Check the compatibility of your DVD player here: click here

pinnicat 14:12 05 Feb 04

somebody explain "tiffs" please

PA28 14:12 05 Feb 04

If you are unable to use .tiffs, then open them in your image editor and make a copy of each using "save as" using the suffix .jpg to convert the files. That way you preserve your originals and you will find that the .jpgs are universally recognised.

PA28 14:13 05 Feb 04

tagged image file format - a type of image file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now