photos on cd

supersonicsid 15:42 17 Nov 03

help please
recently burnt 300+ photos to cd using nero. Plays fine on the dvd player but cant open individual files on cd.They appear to be in a folder called segment stored as dat files.Every time i try to open one of these files windows says it cant find the program that created them.
Any ideas?

©®@$? 15:51 17 Nov 03

try this as a test

copy one of the files to your hardrive and change the extension from .dat to jpeg or something similar then see if it opens..

supersonicsid 15:59 17 Nov 03

Thanks CR@$?. Starts to open windows picture viewer but then says no preview available. Any other ideas?

anchor 16:01 17 Nov 03

Good suggestion. I recall receiving an e-mail attachment from a family member that had a dat extension. It was supposed to be a photo.

I saved it to the hard disc and changed the extension to jpg. It then opened correctly.

anchor 16:03 17 Nov 03

Posts crossed:

Try opening it in a specific graphic programme such as Paint Shop Pro, or Irfanview.

supersonicsid 17:10 18 Nov 03

ive tried opening it with adobe photoshop - could not complete due to program error! Anyone know how to find out from a file which program created it?

y_not 19:09 18 Nov 03

The file was created in Nero however Nero doesn't "play" or open the files as such (as far as I'm aware).

What you appear to have done it to encode the jpeg's to either VCD or SVCD format - I don't know of a way to "un-encode" them!

What you did is fine for a picture show BUT if you want to be able to access the files again you need to "drag'n'drop" them (using Nero) onto a CD rather than changing their format.

This is all "to the best of my knowledge" - I hope someone else can prove me wrong and recover the pictures for you.

Good luck

Tony

Gongoozler 19:22 18 Nov 03

Isobuster looks like it could help, but if the files are saved for display on a television they may be at quite low resolution. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…