photography

ritchy 17:00 11 Mar 05

can anyone give my any advice on printing my own pictures..........i have just printed a portrait picture but the colours are not the same as the original picture..ime using the epson r300

Technotiger 17:05 11 Mar 05

Hi, several different factors can affect printed colours, particularly inks and paper used. Hang on in there and I am sure someone else will come up with suggestions for improving yours. But in the meantime, a bit more info might help - what OS, Printer, Program are you using for a starters.

Cheers.

Old Shep 17:09 11 Mar 05

If you aure using photo paper (glossy) you need to go into your printer properties and change the type of paper etc that you are using. You need to do this each time because it usually defaults back to plain paper etc.

sinbad1 17:11 11 Mar 05

Not sure about the epson r300 ;but my software gives options on quality of output and settings for photo paper. Colours do come out a little different from what u see on the screen,case of experimenting or using psp to adjust colours.
so many variables.

try printer settings first

Happy Soul 17:14 11 Mar 05

The first thing to do is make sure your screen isn't too light or dark.

Load a picture into your Program and do a print, make sure you are selecting and using the correct paper for the setting on your printer.

Now print the picture. Change the brightness and contrast on your monitor/TFT to get as close a match as possible with the print.

Now choose another photo and using your program change the brightness and contrast of the picture and print.

You should now get acceptable results.

I have the R300 and found that using almost any setting for glossy will give good prints.

ritchy 17:18 11 Mar 05

ime using windows xp and the software is just the one that came with the epson r300

Happy Soul 17:39 11 Mar 05

The colour profile would have been set on install.

Check by going to Start - Control Panel - Printers and Faxes.

Right click on the printer icon and choose properties.

Click on the colour management tab and make sure it's set to automatic.

(The profile on mine shows EE261_1).

I had to make a slight adjustment to my TFT as the brightness, as it turned out and I hadn't realised, was a bit high and as a result I adjusted the brightness/contrast of the picture, using my program, to compensate for the resulting over exposure, which resulted in a dark print.

anchor 09:27 12 Mar 05

I had already carried out the suggestions given by Happy Soul, but still found the prints with my Epson 895 were too light, and slightly too red.

I made some tests, adjusting the gamma down, and reducing the red setting in the Epson software. I was then able to get an acceptable print, and have saved these settings as a profile.

I am not familiar with your printer, but possibly you can make similar software adjustments.

wotbus@ 11:43 12 Mar 05

I have recently bought an R300 and naturally interested in this thread. My first printing attempts were a bit disappointing for the same reasons. I then tried some Kodak paper but before actually printing and while reading all about it, I visited the Kodak site and downloaded, free, their own printing software which adjusts your printer settings to the type of Kodak paper being used [automatically each time]. Since then I am more than happy with the results with regard to colour match. May be worth a try. The manual settings for the R300 seem a bit daunting and not for the amateur. I am not saying Kodak paper/software is better than Epson paper/software, just proposing perhaps an easier/cheaper alternative to being unhappy with lighter prints. The Kodak paper I use is Premium Picture Paper and the Epson is Premium Glossy but with EpsonPhotoQuicker set to Epson Photo paper, not as you would expect to Premium Glossy. For me this gives good results. I have discovered there is a lot to learn in this area as in the old days of picking up your prints at the Chemist it was easy to accept [perhaps subconsciously] the results as you were able to blame the printer/type of film/old camera etc, if they were "all a bit light" etc. Now we are responsible from the shutter click to the print it is more difficult to accept something not quite right or how we wanted it. It is also a very personal thing as we all see things a bit differently. Experimenting with settings is also a bit expensive. I have had a go at adjusting some settings but unless you know what "gamma" and a few other alien references to the colour spectrum are for example, how can you twiddle? [not directed at you Anchor ;-)]. Good luck anyway because when you get it right it's a big satisfaction.

ritchy 11:49 12 Mar 05

Thank you "wotbus" ille try your advice seems you have the same printer as me. And thank you for all the people who also gave me their advice.

jakimo 12:46 12 Mar 05

You don't say what photo paper you are using..The epsom profiles settings are based on printing on epsom paper & ink,using other brands may produce prints with a color cast etc.so the settings are trial & error,but most quality brands of papers will give settings for their papers & your printer setting on their web site.

I use the R300,and with my monitor calibrated with Pantone colourplus (auto calibrated with a spyder)the R300 printer is set to colorplus profile,and I get spectacular results

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…