Photographs

podlod 13:06 02 Sep 08

Hi, I have 2 photos in which there are 2 people I wish to bring together into 1 photo.
I have at the moment Gimp and Photo.net and I would like to know which one is best to use and how to perform the action in bringing them together in using one or the other, and then reducing the photo to 3" X 2", thanks for any help you can give me?

Diemmess 17:31 02 Sep 08

Perhaps others feel like I do that the choice of method may depend on how experienced you are and how deep is your pocket.

I'm unfamiliar with your image handling apps.
You are really the best judge of them, because as long as you keep the originals somewhere safe and only experiment with copies, you can crash about trying various ways you won't harm the originals.

If you don't succeed then others will either guide you from where you are stuck, or recommend software that will work but is maybe not free.

Pineman100 18:15 02 Sep 08

Diemmess has given you good advice - keep untouched versions of your files somewhere safe, and only muck about with copies of them.

Like him, I'm not familiar with The Gimp or Photo.net, but provided your software will handle creating a marquee and has a layers facility, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Carefully click around one of your figures with the marquee tool (you can try a lassoe or magnetic marquee, but unless the background is very bland they're unlikely to be successful).

Once you're happy with the accuracy of your marquee, feather it by around one pixel (if the software has this facility) for a more natural look. Then copy it and paste it into a new layer on the other picture.

Move the figure around until you're happy that the positioning looks natural, then flatten the image to "stick" the layers together, and save the file under a new name.

As Diemmess said, if you get stuck, post again.

Pineman100 18:20 02 Sep 08

I forgot to mention resizing.

Once you've done everything above, to resize the picture simply use the Image Size function to specify your required size. I suggest a resolution of 300 dpi.

But do save your edited picture at its largest size first, and re-save the reduced image under a new name. That way, if you ever want a larger print of it, you don't have to resort to enlarging from a small file, which is never very satisfactory.

podlod 16:18 03 Sep 08

Hi, I want to thank you both for your help, but I am not really conversant with Lassoe or Magnetic Marqueee? any help please?

Diemmess 16:35 03 Sep 08

So many applications almost work the same way as their rivals, but seem to go to great lengths to avoid using the same names for actions and commands.
Pineman100 gave two such words for types of masks.

If your software allows you to draw a circle, a square or even a joined freehand line which encloses part of a picture, or inversely excludes part of a picture, that is a mask.

If you have the facility to do that (whatever it is called) then you can build a montage as Pineman100 said in his first post.

If not.... or you want a more comprehensive program, post back here again for suggested software. I guess you will almost be swamped with different ideas

BT 16:41 03 Sep 08

Have a look at this Video tutorial. Its for the Pen Tool in Photo shop but the principals are the same in most photo editing programs.
It shows how to make an accurate selection as explained by Pineman100.
click here

BT 16:44 03 Sep 08

OOps
Try this link instead

click here

Technotiger 16:45 03 Sep 08

Gimp should enable you to manipulate your photos as you wish. First make copies of your photos and experiment with the copies, leaving your originals untouched.

I have never used Gimp, but it would appear to have all the necessary tools - Lasoo/Marguee are just names for some of the Tools that enable you to 'draw' around the part(s) of the picture that you wish to keep, and then put them together etc. Much too detailed to explain here, but if you experiment you will teach yourself a lot.

Photo.net will not do what you want.

I use PhotoSuite4 which is very easy to use, though I also have PhotoSuite7, both of these will do what you want.

chub_tor 16:59 03 Sep 08

For £10 you can buy PhotoPlus 8 from Serif click here. This has image extraction that is simple to use, you don't need lassoo just draw around the image using the magnetic edge tool, fill the portion that you want to extract and you can then paste it into any other background you want. It's simple and I have been using it for years.

Technotiger 18:12 03 Sep 08

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…